Search for

Travel Insurance

Get a FREE no obligation quote!

Follow Us:

West Indies Maps
Tourist Islands of
the West Indies
$12.95

D.C. to AXA.....best route/flight times ????

Travel & news discussion about Anguilla

D.C. to AXA.....best route/flight times ????

Postby Johann1 » Mon May 08, 2006 1:48 pm

I'm looking to minimize flight time for a trip to AXA. The best I found is the following:

American Airlines
Flight 1151 / Flight 5120 operated by AMERICAN EAGLE/EXECUTIVE 7:17am
Washington, DC (IAD) 12:55pm
Anguilla, Anguilla (AXA) 5hrs 38min - 1 Stop

Change planes in San Juan, Puerto Rico (SJU)

I understand this is a tight connection - any others do this routing with success??

The other options are between 9-12 hours in total transit time...and some involve 2 stops. With a little one, I'm tring to avoid the multiple stops.

Johann
Johann1

Postby CaribSurfer » Mon May 08, 2006 2:54 pm

There are really only two effective way for you to get from Washington, DC to AXA. The first is to connect to the American Eagle flight from Puerto Rico (that's the routing you already found). I believe right now there is only one AE flight each day between SJU and AXA. You can check the AA website for flight details. Your only other viable option is to fly to SXM than take either a ferry, water taxi (both about 20 minutes) or island hopper flight (6 minutes) to AXA. Check schedules to see which way will get you on island earlier.
CaribSurfer

DC to AXA Options

Postby Johann1 » Mon May 08, 2006 4:23 pm

Thanks. Anyone done the very short connection from IAD-San Juan - AXA (see earlier post....45 minutes)?

Seems short and the storys of San Juan airport on this and other sites are not pretty..I have visions of luggage sitting on the tarmac in PR and/or unplanned overnight hotel stops in PR.

The IAD-SXM non-stop sounds attractive, but only on Saturdays this time of year..which means we are limited to a 7-day trip or a 14 day trip (unless we re-route going home).

Anyone use US-Scare via Philly or Charlotte to SXM?

In essence, looking for the shortest travel time (all in) as we have a little one with us this trip.

Have done the AA via San Juan route and NWA via Memphis-SXM-Ferry.

Thanks in advance....

Johann
P.S. Anyone schlep a toddler on the ferry w/luggage...? Does not sound easy
Johann1

Air Travel

Postby ALR » Mon May 08, 2006 7:59 pm

I fly PHL-SXM or BWI-CLT-SXM several times a year. It's much better than the San Juan connection that I used to do. However, I did use the San Juan connection Jan/Feb and barely made it. San Juan had closed one runway so flights were a little backed up as they used one runway for aircraft both landing and taking off. My first choice is nonstop PHL-SXM; however, in the offseason it only runs Sat and Sun. Going through Charlotte is very easy; it's almost as good as the nonstop route.
In SXM, you might want to consider the boat shuttle which leaves across the street from the airport. Also, there is a VIP service you can enlist to handle your documents and luggage in SXM. That might lighten the load. Contact addresses are funtimecharters@yahoo.com and caribbeanvip@yahoo.com. They can give you current prices. Expect one-way shuttle service to be about $65 per person and the Meet and Greet service to be about $60 for three people one way.
ALR

Postby pepper » Tue May 09, 2006 1:40 pm

I agree wholeheartedly with ALR.
I too think that if getting to Philly is not a real problem timewise for you, that the US Air non-stop flight to SXM and then the boat across to AXA is far and away the easiest and most hassle-free route for you to take.
(Think about the time saved carrying your toddler around for two flights instead of a blessed non-stop one.)
pepper

Postby Walker » Tue May 23, 2006 9:42 pm

We've traveled with small kids (2 & 3) on the ferry from SXM to Anguilla. Success rests in planning: luggage with wheels or with backpack like straps. One of you takes the child (one of those inexpensive umbrella strollers works great, and the stroller pusher and sling carry on luggage across the chest). I pack a smaller bag and balance it atop the wheeled luggage (sometimes it falls off). We've flown DCA-SXM via either Philadelphia or Charlotte on US Air and have lived to talk about it. JUST REMEMBER TO BRING A LOT OF FOOD TO KEEP THE CHILD WELL FED AND HAPPY on the plane. A hungry child is a VERY UNHAPPY CHILD. United had a direct flight on Wednesdays this winter from Dulles to SXM on Wed. and Sat. only, but they may have ended this service now that high season is over. It was the only direct flight from any DC airport to SXM this winter. One thing we've learned is that people treat you nicely when you are traveling with a small child (as long as the child doesn't cry too much).
Walker

United

Postby ALR » Wed May 24, 2006 7:20 am

Definately check out United's nonstop flight from Dulles on Saturday. I see it runs when I'm going early November, so depending when you're planning to travel, it may be the best option.
ALR

DC-Anguilla (via SXM)

Postby Johann1 » Tue May 30, 2006 10:42 am

Thanks to the helpful posts regarding this issue.

We did book the IAD-SXM with UA. Still flying on Saturday (only), even in low season (June at least).

Not cheap (could fly to Paris and have money left for shopping for this price), but with a little one we thought we'd try to keep the journey time to a minimum...and avoid a stop on the way there. About 4 hours total for the IAD-SXM trip.

Unfortunately, on the way back, we cannot fly on Saturday (want to spend more time on the beach), so the non-stop is not an option. Stuck with US-Scare SXM-IAD (via Charlotte)....which lands late (11pm+) in Dulles.

According to the internet, this is the shortest (time) one-stop routing for a SXM-DC, other than the non-stop with UA on Saturday.

Thanks for the tips on food, strollers etc. We were questioning whether to even bother with a stroller, as I can't see us using it in Anguilla....but in/around the airports makes sense.

Regards,

Johann
Johann1

Return to Anguilla Travel Forum