West Indies Maps
Tourist Islands of
the West Indies
$12.95

Trip Report from Anguilla & Cap

Travel & news discussion about Anguilla

Trip Report from Anguilla & Cap

Postby rainmac » Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:54 pm

Just spent 8 glorious nights on Anguilla. Weather perfect, but some mosquito problems.
Cap Juluca was wonderful, as usual. I did find out some info about Guish and the resort. First of all, let me emphasize that in speaking to Cap employees and other Anguillans, thjere is no truth to any rumor you may read about concerning Guish's being fired because of employee problems or his conduct. The truth is nobody is talking about it because nobody knows why he was fired! Gullian Richardson-Bradshaw has taken over for him, and is doing a great job. Evidently, the ownership is still in doubt because the courts in Anguilla have not rendered a final decision on the court case involving who owns Cap. Enough of that.

We ate at Tasty's, Olivers, E's Oven, Nat's Palm Grove, Picante, and the new Italian restaurant, Caprise, which is in the old Sapphire place halfway down the Cap road. All were wonderful. Our favorite is Palm Grove for lunch. Nat's $35 for a 3 pound lobster is great. We tried to go to Flavors, Overlook, Tratoria Tramonti, but all were closed on Sunday when we tried. E's Oven is still the best value meal on the island for dinner. Vernon's half roasted chicken for $10 is a real deal. It's also were a lot of locals eat. I really believe Vernon Hughes is one of the best chefs on Anguilla. His track record at Cinnamon Reef, Sonesta, Cap, and E's proves his ability. Give it a try. You won't be disappointed. We were also impressed with Caprise. Very nice menu at reasonable prices. Wine prices alittle high, however. My gnocchi in a gorgonzolla cream sauce with walnuts was super.
Can't wait for next year to return to Anguilla.Any questions, feel free to email me. This was out 5th trip to Anguilla and I have promised myself to return at least once a year for the rest of my life.
rainmac

Postby pepper » Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:54 pm

Yours was a very informative report rainmac. Thanks.
First, I don't know whether or not Guish' firing was caused by employee disgruntlement but I can state that I spoke with one former employee of long standing who was outraged at the treatment he received from Guish and left because of it.

As for Caprice. I was heartened to read you say that the prices were in the reasonable range. Some past reports were that they were outrageously high.(Something like $42+ for steak?)
I will put it on my list for next time.

So Vernon Hughes finally decided to bite the bullet and charge $10 instead of $8 for his famous 1/2 chicken. Good for him! It's well worth it!
pepper

Postby Mary » Fri Jun 02, 2006 8:01 pm

Great report - we started out at Cinnamon Reef many, many years ago and got spoiled by Vernon & his sister Peggy (pastry chef then at CR now makes all that wonderful bread & rolls at E's). One of my favorite people & chefs! Get him to cater for you if you ever stay at a villa -- what an experience!
Mary

Good Report - Question re. Mosquitos

Postby Johann1 » Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:30 am

Thanks for the good report on your recent visit.

We are heading to Anguilla later in June. Have been in Nov and April in the past. I recall Nov we had biting nats or some other pest on the beaches at times.

Curious about the mosquito issue you mentioned? How bad are they now?
Are they a problem on the beach during the day or only in the evenings?

Tips for beating them? OFF or heavy DEET product etc ?

Many thanks,

Johann

ps. Mary: Another DC person....good to see you on the board. We are also from D.C. area. Do you use the UA non-stop to SXM or what is your preferred routing to Anguilla ??
Johann1

Postby Mary » Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:23 am

UA non-stop is new -- haven't ever used it. Spent the first 7 years or more doing AA to SJU to SXM (don't care which of the 3 airports we fly in & out of; we just take the lowest fare). For the past 3-4 years, we gotten way better fares on USAirways. We've done both Philly and Charlotte (the latter is preferable). Price wins unless we're on FF miles and then we just try to get the earliest arrival.
Mary

More Info

Postby allywood » Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:31 pm

Thanks for the great recap of the trip. I'm new to all this and my girlfriend and I are headed to the Cap this weekend.

Is there anything you could tell me that we might need to know that I haven't already read? We're staying for 10 days so if you have any ideas about what to do or more places to eat that'd be great.

And what about those mosquitos?

Thanks.
allywood

Return to Anguilla Travel Forum