West Indies Maps
Tourist Islands of
the West Indies
$12.95

Island Taxation and Wallblake

Travel & news discussion about Anguilla

Island Taxation and Wallblake

Postby Willy Cancel » Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:01 pm

As a annual visitor to Anguilla ( 10 weeks in the last 104 weeks ) I would like to register my grievence with the Government / island people in respect of the taxes / charges and hard work incurred in visiting the island and the sheer hard work that is made in leaving the island thro Wallblake.

I realize that Anguilla is aiming for high end vacationers and have no objection to this, I do not set the policy on the island, I do not live there and it is for the people ( elected government ) to decide how they run the island.

However, as a regular visitor,and a spender of real money, I do object to the somewhat loaded, lets charge the visitor another dollars, taxes and charges mentality. Whilst the majority of visitors are of a reasonable / high earners and a buck is neither here nor there, people do not like being fleeced and….the phrase killing the golden goose springs to mind.

Having just completed a 24 night stay on the island, I accept that I pay the normal service charge / accomadation charge, to my chosen hotelier.

Then I find myself paying a government tourism charge of a dollar per night per person which to be quite frank is outrageous..its not the money it’s the principle. On top of this I am bilked for a temporarary drivers license and a 20 dollar per person / 10 dollar charge for the kids charge just for the privilidge to leave the island.

No content with this, the government / airport authority charge me a security charge just to process my bags…you can´t call it security because it is really a open and shut search, or if you are lucky enough, the scanner machine works and your bags are scanned.

Now lets address leaving the island. You arrive at LIAT check in and wait 15-20 minutes, although there are 2 people behind the counter. You are then checked in but…..take your boarding card to taxes and pay your money… and then return to the same desk…then pay 20 dollars security tax, follow your bags through to the back, unlock them, get a bloody , lazy, cursory glance through, relock and leave. Go back to check in and get your boarding cards…..but wait for it…we have to be processed by the security jobs worth again.

I could comment on the airport security but I will leave the security / shoe removal jobsworths alone, but suffice to say, nobody really minds the security checks…if the job is done properly…..if you ain´t gonna bother to do it properly then don´t do it.

The island, its people and the government need to address this form of indirect taxation and charges because believe me, people notice it, chat about it and in the end it will cause a reverse effect on tourism.
Willy Cancel

Postby Mary » Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:21 pm

It used to be that if you got 3 (I think) driver's licenses within a year, you were entitled to apply for a permanent one. You may want to look into that.
Mary

Drivers' License

Postby ALR » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:41 pm

Mary,
I was told at the Police Department that they discontinued the policy of issuing a permanent drivers' license for three consecutive temporary licenses. They now require driving tests, just the same as that required of Anguillians. You make an appointment two weeks in advance of the test and then go to the Police Station for the road test. It's not as simple as it once was.
ALR

Return to Anguilla Travel Forum