Search for

Travel Insurance

Get a FREE no obligation quote!

Follow Us:

West Indies Maps
Tourist Islands of
the West Indies
$12.95

15 trips to AXA-pls help w/new destination!

Travel & news discussion about Anguilla

15 trips to AXA-pls help w/new destination!

Postby BRose » Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:21 pm

My husband and I have been to Anguilla 15 times. Although we'd love to go back -- we feel we must skip a year and try somewhere else. Problem is: nowhere seems to measure up, so we need your help!

We were Sonesta-turned-Malli people....We are looking for an ultra-luxury resort on the beach. We are quiet people, so we are looking for a hotel that doesn't attract small children. (Even with the kids section, it never seemed like a big thing at Malli.)

We tried Caneel Bay on St John one year and hated it (too crowded and learned that "understated" is not for us). We liked Nisbet on Nevis.... Thinking of Turks & Caicos but I think it may be too crowded for us? If anyone has a hotel there they think would be good for us...Or maybe St Barts? We are flying from New York and don't want too long a travel time.

I know Anguilla is perfect. I do. We just need to try something else. Thanks for your help!
BRose

Postby Anthony » Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:23 am

Have you looked at Little Dix Bay? More of a chore to get to though -
<a href="http://www.littledixbay.com/"><b>http://www.littledixbay.com/</b></a>
Anthony for Caribbean-On-Line
Anthony
Site Admin

New Place

Postby aasby » Sun Apr 08, 2007 3:11 pm

We have been to Anguilla for 11 years and will go back again in 2008. This year we also went to Barbuda looking for another paradise. Barbuda is as remote as it gets. We did not stay at a luxury place but you may want to look at Coco Point. Coco Point is one of only two small places to stay on the island. You would have no other dining choices unless you could dine at the Beach House, the other it's own air strip and they fly you in from Antigua. It is a one level property and located on the only beach in the Caribbean we have seen compare to Anguilla beaches. It is gorgeous, the water is calm. My understanding is the people who stay there want complete privacy. There is not a lot to do on this island and there are a few power outages. I think Coco Point has it's own generators, though. I do not believe this is ultra luxury like Malli but it may be luxury enough. The beach is gorgeous and right now the only other property on the beach is the K-Club and it is closed. The K-Club is the property Princess Diana and her sons visited a few times. Anyway, take a look at this property. There are only 1200 to 1500 people on the island so when we drove around the island we were usually the only car on the road. www.barbudaful.com is the only web site I know where you are able to get information. Coco Point is quite expensive. We rented a house in town and did not see the property first hand but this island is definitely quiet. No crime ...no jail....
aasby

Postby Anthony » Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:34 am

That link you left doesn't seem to have much to do with Barbuda - did you check it out?

We do have some Barbuda information right here on Caribbean-On-Line:

Check our <a href="http://www.caribbean-on-line.com/islands/ab/bbe.shtml"><b>Barbuda Things To Do</b></a> page - also, in our Antigua and Barbuda section there are things sprinkled in about Barbuda - including a <a href="http://www.caribbean-on-line.com/islands/ab/bbmap.shtml"><b>Barbuda map</b></a> and some <a href="http://www.caribbean-on-line.com/islands/ab/abd.shtml"><b>Barbuda dining</b></a> options (some of this information could be out of date!).
Anthony for Caribbean-On-Line
Anthony
Site Admin

Barbuda

Postby aasby » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:05 am

Sorry. It is www.barbudaful.net not .com

I found this site very helpful and the only detailed one with history, local businesses, hotels and guesthouses. The information is very accurate.

Thank you for spotting my error.
aasby

Postby pepper » Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:10 pm

Have you thought about Petit St. Vincent?
The only problem is that because of its remote appeal, it is a bit harder to get to.
From NY to Barbados, then a small plane to Union Island (1 hr.) and then a transfer to the hotel's private boat to the island, which takes 3/4 of an hour more.
Once there, you cannot imagine a more pampered and private vacation with just 22 rooms right on the beach, with fine food and lots to drink -- all inclusive.

OR:

You might want to consider going the other way:
Maroma outside of Cancun (I said "outside" --don't worry!)
It is also a private, very lovely, self-contained resort with a luscious beach that never ends.
I think there are about 35 rooms there.
Near the Mayan ruins which is a neat place to visit.
pepper

Postby nonstop » Sun Apr 15, 2007 5:18 pm

Have you thought about Canouan or Carriacou?
nonstop

Return to Anguilla Travel Forum