West Indies Maps
Tourist Islands of
the West Indies
$12.95

shootings?

Travel & news discussion about Anguilla

shootings?

Postby Mark Eyster » Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:53 am

I heard that two people were shot Saturday; one dead. Also, that two tourists were shot in a home invasion/robbery in a villa within the past few days.
Does anyone have any details?
Mark Eyster

Postby O.T. » Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:45 pm

Only what I have heard on Heartbeat Radio News(www.hbr1075.com) and read on www.anguillanews.com and www.anguillatalk.com

The first shooting happened in North Valley and resulted in one local man dead and one injured.

The second shooting was during a breakin in a villa in the Rendevouz Bay area, a couple (tourists) were shot and are in stable condition at the hospital.

There was also a shooting on the island on December 17th, a local man from South Hill was injured. 4 men were arrested on December 20th and charged with attempted murder (ref. the Anguillian Newspaper).
O.T.

Postby Mary » Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:58 pm

Not good -- I live in Washington, DC & when people ask me if it's safe, I ask them if they're planning to purchase drugs. If not, it's really very safe. I have felt that way about the "east end v. south hill v. the Valley" kids settling their turf battles with each other in Anguilla -- I'm not in it & don't intend to get in it. But breaking into a villa & shooting tourists takes this to a whole new level!
Mary

Postby Mark Eyster » Tue Jan 10, 2006 4:09 pm

not the first time homes have been broken into and tourists killed
Mark Eyster

Shooting?????????

Postby Axa GIrl » Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:39 am

The Royal Anguilla Police Force responded to a burglary at Bow Green Villa in Rendezvous at about 12:20am on Tuesday January 10 2006. The Villa was occupied by two USA citizens when two armed masked intruders entered their bedroom. The occupants sustained gun shot wounds and are being treated at the hospital and are in stable condition.

The RAPF is conducting inquiries into this incident and is again soliciting the support of the general public. Anyone having any information about this incident is asked to contact the Criminal Investigation Department on 497-2333 ext. 205 or 241 or 497-5300.
Axa GIrl

Postby axatraveller » Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:26 pm

Hannibal couple survives Caribbean shooting
Will fly to Miami hospital

By BEV DARR
Of the Courier-Post

ANGUILLA - Frank and Ann Miller of Hannibal were injured in a shooting early Tuesday morning on the Caribbean island of Anguilla, when two armed men entered their home.

"It was pretty traumatic," Ann said during a telephone interview from her room in Princess Alexandra Hospital in Anguilla Tuesday night. "We are going to be fine," she added.

The Millers were preparing to be flown to a hospital in Miami, she said. "I think we would go from there to Barnes" hospital in St. Louis, Ann said.

Ann was shot in the leg and shoulder, but Frank's injuries were more severe, she said. He was shot in the abdomen, arm and leg.

"They did surgery right away on him, and he is doing just fine," she said.

She said they were "so fortunate" to have not suffered worse injuries. "We are so happy for all the prayers and all the help. It was an interesting experience. They have an excellent 9-1-1 system."

The Millers had been living in the home they rented in Anguilla for a month, she said, and "it is a beautiful island."

When asked if she had a message for her friends at home, Ann said, "We are looking forward to being home."

Frank is chairman of the board of directors of Canton State Bank in Canton, which is owned by the Millers and their daughter, Annie Miller Devoy, of Brookfield.

Earlier Tuesday, Jim Millan, president of Canton State Bank, reported the Millers were in stable condition. He asked that, "the community keep the Miller family in their thoughts at this time."

The Anguilla Police Department did not have a report of the incident available by presstime Tuesday.
axatraveller

Postby penny » Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:20 am

Thanks for posting this information. I was stunned to read they had mutiple bullet wounds. They are a very lucky couple.
penny

shootings

Postby Jill » Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:56 am

We were there when both shootings occurred. The country was shaken, I believe. Heartbeat radio played hymns, etc for several days after the fatal shooting which occurred near the Methodist church in the Valley. I was told by a local friend who works in the criminal system that it was a drug deal. The dead man's name was "Nasi" (sp?) Arondel. I don't know the name of the wounded fellow. The shooting of the tourists was a different matter. I believe the news was on the radio but I missed it. I did hear a preacher on Heartbeat who seemed to be very upset about the way things were headed on the island but I didn't put two and two together until later. The interesting thing was that while there was plenty of talk about the drug killing, NO ONE wanted to talk about the tourists. The owner of our villa who has been in Anguilla a long time had not heard a thing until I told her two days later. It is all quite disturbing - not just that tourists were attacked but that there are so many guns on the island and the clash of cultures is inevitable, at least in my opinion. I had a tour of Temenos with a guy I met there who is a supervisor - he had a lot of insights I will share at a later date.
Jill

shootings

Postby Jill » Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:03 am

Looks like my names are wrong...here's the article from the Anguillian:
http://www.mycaribbean.com/article/articleview/3198/
Jill

Jan '06 Tourist Shootings - Need Jill's Help

Postby AMD » Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:01 pm

Hey Jill - It was my parents who were shot in Jan. I had just left the villa with my two small children...Both parents were shot three times and continue to struggle with recovery. My mother had a 12 hour surgery at Mayos last month. You mentioned you might have more details of their attack from a local? I just found this site by searching to see if any more info was out there. Police never found anything about what happened. If you have any other details I would appreciate your help. thank you. annie
AMD

Postby Mark Eyster » Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:11 pm

Sorry to hear that your parents have not completely recovered. I wish them well.

It is unfortunate to learn that nothing has been discovered about the criminals that committed these crimes. Especially so, when I'm sure a number of people in and about Blowing Point have information that would lead to an arrest and conviction.

In the mean time, a couple of very dangerous people seek out their next victims. I hope those in the know will see fit to come forward so these thugs can be put behind bars where they belong!
Mark Eyster

Shootings

Postby dfwtoaxa » Thu Jul 13, 2006 7:56 pm

I was planning to visit Anguilla in August. I was torn between a villa (I have always rented) and Allamanda BC. Since it will be two women traveling without our husbands, I am wary of staying in a villa, now, so strongly considering ABC. How safe is it now for two women to travel to Anguilla? I first visited about 10+ years ago, when there was only one villa with a freshwater pool, and I have not been back for about 8 years. Sounds like the progress of the island has brought with it some nasty characters.
dfwtoaxa

Security

Postby ALR » Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:18 am

dfwtoaxa,
Staying somewhere with onsite security may give you the peace of mind you're looking for. Other than that, just use common sense like you do anywhere else that you travel and you should be fine.
ALR

Postby dovchoom » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:20 am

Although you will hear the "Anguilla is safe" line from many people -- mostly those who have been fortunate enough not to be robbed or shot -- the truth is that robbery and violent crime is on the increase in Anguilla and the police are having a difficult time dealing with it. Look -- its not Watts, Bed Stuy, Englewood (Chicago) or Anacostia - far from it -- but there is a little problem there, and you really don't want to be the unlucky person who gets robbed or shot. I would NOT suggest you cancel a trip to Anguilla. But I would suggest not renting a villa in the Blowing Point area (including Cul de Sac), locking doors and windows securely at night, and avoiding deserted areas after dark.
________
website host
Last edited by dovchoom on Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dovchoom

Shootings

Postby jq59 » Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:04 pm

You can imagine my surprise and amazement when I read this thread and was able to piece together the fact that this shooting took place in the VERY HOUSE we have rented for 10 days this coming December! Having only discovered it yesterday, I do not yet know what we intend to do as far as whether we will go, but I would welcome the input of others of you and, in particular, the daughter of the victims. I hope your parents' recovery is progressing. I suppose I would curious to know whether you think I am crazy for considering going as well. Thank you.
jq59

Next

Return to Anguilla Travel Forum