West Indies Maps
Tourist Islands of
the West Indies
$12.95

Frangipani

Travel & news discussion about Anguilla

Frangipani

Postby beachlover » Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:41 am

Has anyone stayed at Frangi since ownership changed and renovations started? What are your thoughts on the place? We've stayed there in the past and loved it..although it did need some work. We thought the location, set-up & prices couldn't be beat.
beachlover

Postby Mary » Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:51 am

We have stayed there numerous times & went by to look in November. It was a mess. People who posted on other boards who stayed there in December were livid -- there was interior jack-hammering all day long. Their web site says that they will begin constructing 14 new villas (tearing down the restaurant, pool & tennis courts) after high season. I have no doubt it will be nice someday but it sounds like it's going to be a construction zone for some time to come. I heard the prices have risen dramatically, as well.

I think RBH is doing it the classy way -- closing during the construction phases.
Mary

Mary...

Postby beachlover » Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:57 am

Just curious where you stayed when you went in November. We are staying at Carimar this time...the ratings look good and it's on Meads Bay which is a plus for us.
beachlover

Postby Mary » Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:04 am

Started at RBH (love the place & the beach there) and then spent a week at 18 Degrees North & finished up at a villa in Sea Rocks (between Shoal Bay East & Island Harbour). We went to see Carimar & were very impressed! Hermia from Frangi works at the front desk there now and gave us a wonderful tour of the place. I'm sure we'll be staying there at some point.
Mary

Postby Howard » Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:32 pm

Started staying at Frangipani in 1992 and have stayed there about 23 times. Carimar is very nice. Not totally air conditioned but you can rent a portable a/c for the bedroom. Downside no pool or restaurant on site but all suites have kitchens. If you stay there ask for unit 1 or 6. They are a little more but beachfront. Will check out Frang status in April
Howard

Postby beachlover » Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:19 pm

Mary and Howard thanks for your responses. We're looking forward to staying at Carimar but will definatly miss Frangipani. Howard are you staying at Frangi in April. We will be at Carimar in April and plan on checking Frangi out...maybe book for next year if they haven't raised the prices too much. 58 more days and counting!!
beachlover

Postby island beach angel » Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:16 pm

My understanding is the prices have gone up quite considerably -- even for this May & June. Someone was quoted a rate of $500/night for a 1 bedroom -- the prices are going to be more similar to the CJ & Malli rates than the old Frangipani rates. They are aiming for a much more upscale resort - check out their new website frangipaniresort.com for their room plans. Sounds like it will be wonderful when it's finished but may be out of our price range.
island beach angel

Postby Howard » Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:10 pm

No not staying at Frangipani. Tried to get into Ku'but couldn't. Staying at Paradise Cove--won an auction. Don't think I will be able to afford Frangipani when it's finished. Afraid they will lose lots of the loyal Frang clientle that went back to Frang year after year. For what you got it was really the best deal on Anguilla. When in April will you be there ?? We will be on Anguilla 30 or 31 March thru 9 April. Graves will be there until 5 April and I think Penny and husband 3-13 April
Howard

Postby beachlover » Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:46 am

I agree with you about Frangipani Howard. We will be there from April 17 - May 1.
beachlover

Postby Howard » Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:51 am

Sorry we'll miss you. Would love to meet some day and compare travels.
Howard

Frangipani

Postby Maria Dewaard » Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:49 am

To the original poster: Just read a really bad review of Frangipani on Tripadvisor (rats, roaches, terrible service, etc.) - sounds like the management really isn't interested in the hotel anymore...! I think the point is that they plan to sell off the units as condos anyway, and don't care anymore what the hotel is like. I would avoid it at all costs - there are many far better (also cheaper) places to stay on Anguilla!
Maria Dewaard

To Beachlover

Postby cc/axa » Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:41 pm

Hey, we will be there for the same time and also from MA! 49 days to go!!! I don't have any info on Frangi since they changed hands.
Yahoo!!
cc/axa

Postby beachlover » Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:52 pm

Hey cc/axa...Where on the Cape are you from. We're from Western MA...just outside Pittsfield. Maybe we can get together for a drink in Anguilla. How long will you be there?
beachlover

Frangi(for Beachlover)

Postby cc/axa » Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:38 pm

Hi Beachlover,
We are on Cape Cod. Arrive in AXA on 4/15 staying until 4/29. We can usually be found on SBE in front of Ernie's (4 of us, 40 something). :)
cc/axa

Postby Anguilla Addict » Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:24 am

The first three years that we visited Anguilla, we stayed at the Carimar and loved it. Very, very, comfortable and wonderful staff. However, we found ourselves at the other end of the island most of the day. So for the last 2 visits and the 3rd coming in May, we have stayed at Serenity. It is wonderful and I cannot say enough about how well we have been treated by Kenneth and his staff. If you find that you are making frequent trips to Shoal Bay, Serenity is my recommendation.
Anguilla Addict

Next

Return to Anguilla Travel Forum