Search for

Travel Insurance

Get a FREE no obligation quote!

Follow Us:

West Indies Maps
Tourist Islands of
the West Indies
$12.95

Arriving from St. Marteen.....How do I get to Anguilla?

Travel & news discussion about Anguilla

Arriving from St. Marteen.....How do I get to Anguilla?

Postby awilson18 » Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:40 pm

If my flight arrives in St. Marteen at 3:00PM how would I proceed to get to Anguilla? Is the ferry the best way to get there? How long will it take to pass thru customs? How late do the ferries run? Cost? Seriously, any help would be appreciated?
awilson18

Postby CaribSurfer » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:14 am

If you are not flying from SXM to AXA you will first have to clear Immigration upon your arrival in SXM. Depending on how many other aircraft have landed around the same time as yours it will take you anywhere between 10 and 45 minutes to do this. You then claim any checked luggage (you will usually be waived right through customs with no waiting) and take a 25 minute taxi ride to Marigot where you catch the ferry (leaves every 30 minutes) for the 20 minute ride Anguilla. You'll have to clear immigration and customs when you get to Anguilla. This will be a relatively short process. You will need passports to get into Anguilla. You can take a private water taxi to/from Anguilla but it is much more expensive than the ferry.
CaribSurfer

Postby Mary » Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:04 am

The cab ride from the airport to Marigot is $15-16 for 2; there is a $3 departure tax at the ferry & the trip itself costs $12. About a 20-25 minute ride to Anguilla -- you can see it as soon as you clear the harbor at Marigot (I love that). The French authorities at Marigot also require a passport.
Mary

Another Option

Postby ALR » Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:34 am

Another option is to take a shared boat from the airport to Blowing Point in Anguilla. It costs a little more than the ferry, $65 per person. You can contact funtimecharters@yahoo.com to make a reservation. Departure times are posted on www.anguillaguide.com under Travel Info and Charters to SXM. I've done this several times and it was very convenient. It gets you to Blowing Point ahead of everyone else from the ferry going through immigration.
ALR

Postby pepper » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:17 am

ALR is right.
And believe me, I have been going 20 times now to the island and on the very worst and busiest day it NEVER took me 45 minutes to get through the Immigration line.
In fact, it never even took me 1/2 hour! (and I have traveled every day but a Saturday)
I am not saying it cannot happen -- I'm sure it can -- but it's not the norm.
If you don't want to take the 30 minute taxi ride to the ferry in Marigot, you can do as ALR says, and get in touch with Chris of Funtime (which will be more expensive than the ferry) and go directly from the airport and save yourselves almost an hour.
So it comes down to time vs. your pocketbook.
One thing's for sure, you will have a super holiday no matter what you choose.
Enjoy.
pepper

Postby awilson18 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:40 pm

Thank you everyone for your help... Here's what I am attempting to do.. I want to split my honeymoon in two. We would like to spend 5 days at Cap Juluca (Anguilla) and the other 5 days at the Guanahani (St. Barths). It seems like it may be tricky pulling this off without having to pay a fortune for flights. So I want to try and save a little and use the ferry system. Does this sound unreasonable?
awilson18

Postby Mary » Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:07 pm

We used to split all of our time between the 2 islands (we're now totally Anguilla!) but we have done it all sorts of ways. The one that made the most sense, time & money wise, was to vacation on Anguilla, take the ferry back to SXM, fly to St. Barts & return to SXM on a flight. We booked the SXM-St Barts airfare with our tickets on Travelocity & got a great rate. We used the ferry to & from St. Martin/Anguilla. Worked for us -- Bonne chance!
Mary

SXM to AXA - Ferry/Flight Options ?

Postby Johann1 » Sun May 14, 2006 3:26 pm

Thanks to all for the great posts. We are arriving in SMX around 12:30 p.m. and want the quickest and easiest way to get to AXA from the SXM airport.

See that some have recommended Funtime Charters as an altenative to the 20 min taxi ride and public ferry.

However, it looks like Funtime only runs twice a day...which would mean we have to wait until 3pm for their 2nd trip of the day to Anguilla.

Othere more flexible options? Recommendations?

Will have a little one with us - so looking to limit the overall transit time/waiting around etc.

Johann
Johann1

Postby pepper » Sun May 14, 2006 3:44 pm

My suggestion is to click on funtimecharters@yahoo.com in the above post and ask Chris (the captain) that question.
He is very accessible and will respond to you rather quickly.
It's very possible you can work it out if you tell him your problem.
pepper

Postby O.T. » Mon May 15, 2006 1:07 pm

We use Gary "Gotcha" Richardson, his email is gotcha@anguillanet.com

Just tell him when your planes arrives, and he or his crew will meet you outside the terminal.

30 minutes later you will be at Blowing Point.
O.T.

Return to Anguilla Travel Forum