Tourist Islands of
the West Indies
$12.95

Dengue Fever Outbreak

Travel & news discussion about Dominica

Dengue Fever Outbreak

Postby KarenS » Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:48 pm

From radiojamaica.com:

Health officials in Dominica are reporting an outbreak of dengue fever and diarrhoea, with more than 200 cases being reported last week.

In a statement Wednesday the Ministry of Health warned that the number of cases being reported to the health information unit continued to increase.

The ministry said 46 children under five years old and 186 persons over five years old have been affected.

Of those cases three children and nine adults were admitted to the Princess Margaret Hospital.

The Ministry of Health has urged everyone to do everything possible to reduce the risk of vomiting and diarrhoea.

Meanwhile the Dominica Water and Sewerage Company has denied claims that its water was not safe for drinking.

The company said tests conducted at all drinking plants determined that the water was safe.
Karen for Caribbean-On-Line.com
KarenS
Site Admin

Dengue Fever

Postby jomar » Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:47 pm

This illness is, I think, spread only by mosquitos. There are a lot of mosquitos in the rainy season. I'm not sure I understand how the drinking water supply could possibly be connected with Dengue.

On the other hand, open sewers in Dominican population centers and cruise ship waste disposal process may be responsible for the intestinal problems.
jomar

Postby KarenS » Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:03 am

I thought the same thing....never heard of dengue having anything to do with intestinal problems! Two problems lumped into one article apparently. As is always true in traveling, drink only bottled water and bring along a good bug spray (packed in checked luggage only of course!).

I'm surprised to hear the cruise ships have non-ecologically sound waste disposal practices. Shouldn't there be a law against that?
KarenS
Site Admin

Cruise Ship Waste

Postby jomar » Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:58 pm

I think there are sets of laws that vary among nations, depending upon where the boat happens to be and also where it's registered. Naturally, poorer nations raise money however they can, and this sometimes involves selling dumping rights to big cruise ship companies. I've heard that there may be some sort of arrangement in Dominica with cruise ship companies and local land owners, but I don't know the details.
jomar

Postby KarenS » Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:43 am

The latest:
The Ministry of Health and Social Security said that reports from the country on the mosquito-borne disease were incorrect.

There has however been an outbreak of diarrhea and vomiting which the Ministry said was reported a week ago and which now continues to increase.

For the full article go <a href="http://www.caribbean360.com/News/Caribbean/Stories/2006/08/25/NEWS0000003438.html">here.</a>
KarenS
Site Admin

Return to Dominica Travel Forum