Search for

Travel Insurance

Get a FREE no obligation quote!

Follow Us:

West Indies Maps
Tourist Islands of
the West Indies
$12.95

Blue Bay Getaway Villas Doradas, Dominican, FANTASTIC!!!!!!!

Travel & news discussion about the Dominican Republic

Blue Bay Getaway Villas Doradas, Dominican, FANTASTIC!!!!!!!

Postby skate8 » Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:44 am

GREAT RAVES !!!!!!!!!!!! After going to Villas Doradas, now Blue Bay Getaway Villas Doradas, for the past 13 years (3 to 4 weeks per year), we have vacationed with 4 different companies running the resort. Blue Bay Getaway has turned this resort into the GEM of Puerto Plata. In fact, it was even better than the 5 Star Resorts we stayed at. It was the BEST vacation we have ever spent.
The resort has been completely renovated. Every room has been gutted and re-furbished. Every room includes a refrigerator. There is now a new pool and a Jacuzzi (that really works with good jets). This is in the quiet area, with a bar. Already they are expanding the lounge chair area, adding tables and umbrellas etc. as this has become very popular. As for the resort being like the Blue Bay in Cancun, Mexico, forget it. There was no vulgarity, or exhibitionist except for one female who was not able to control her drinking. As far as topless, there was actually less topless women this year than in all the previous 13 years. The place is class…..approaching Sandals.
Management/ Managers were constantly roving the property and keeping a very tight rein on the staff, nothing was cut short.
First, the cleanliness was outstanding. I get up at 6, due to my hip problem, and there was many staff cleaning the grounds, pool area, and beach etc. The rooms were immaculate, and spotless. And they continued all day maintaining the resort. The pool is the cleanest of any resort I ever have been at (it look like gin). It always was the best and they kept the same pool attendant who is meticulous at his job.
The staff, was always terrific and always greeted you with a smile. Who ever trained them should be complimented. Wine, water, coffee, etc. was always poured from the right side. The table setting was a full setting (English Style) with 2 forks, 2 knives, dessert fork, and spoon, goblets for water and wine. As soon as you finished a course, the plates were removed. Courtesy prevailed.
The Rooms were totally redone. All the furniture replaced. Every room has a refrigerator, safe (extra cost). The only thing lacking was drawer space. A small dresser for personal items, camera, etc. would solve that problem
As far as the food, it was excellent. In all our years in the DR, at every resort we ever stayed at, the one complaint was the beef, it was Argentinean (I think they grazed on the Andes). It was always tough by American standards and always over cooked. The beef here was great and for the first time we ate the beef. At the Grill Restaurant, the Chateau Brieant, the Argentinean Style Steak (my favorite), and the Strip steak were all delicious and tender. They were cooked to order, medium rare was medium rare. The Pork Tenderloin was very tender, and done perfectly. At the Buffet, the food was also great. I tried everything as in the past, many item were only so-so. The vegetables were always cooked right, never overcook (mushy) at every meal. The Oriental Restaurant was redone and the food was also great. When my wife sat down, they brought out a pillow for her feet and removed her shoes. Sushi (not the raw fish part) was served with wasabi sauce. One piece of advise, the little green pea shaped balls are actually ground wasabi, so if you don’t like hot stuff watch out. Every meal is served with fried rice, not white rice. The Sea Food Restaurant is on the beach, enclosed and was being air conditioned as we left. The food was delicious. They have calamari, fresh fish and conch. Some guests were not used to those delicacies and were not impressed. They wanted fish and chips, fried shrimp, etc. My wife had the lobster dinner and when it came she could not believe her eyes. It was a 2 pounder and she ate it all by herself. Well worth the extra cost .
The one thing that really impressed us was the buffet, where even for breakfast, the water, juice, tea, coffee, beer and the wine was poured at the table. The wine was bottled wine and not box/bag wine. At all the resorts, including 5 star that we have been at, you always had to go up for your, wine or beer at the buffet, not here. Last year the wine (box) was poor, especially the white. The wine this year was quite nice, not vintage but very satisfactory.
One thing that did not appear on the web or in any of the brochure’s is that the resort is wired for wireless internet. In fact the resort had 4 laptop computer’s for guests to use so you can check your e-mail’s, reservation’s, flight etc.
As for the beach, there is plenty of shade for those that don’t want to get burnt. While we were there, they added 12 more thatched huts, plus they opened up the area next to the beach bar so that there is good shade from the palms and Banyan trees. Missing was a ledge on the hut pole or a small plastic table for you glasses of wine, beer, soda, etc. Putting them in the sand or on you flip/flop was a problem. Some tipped over, or got sand in them as people walked by or blown by the wind. I’m sure they will correct this in the near future. While we were there, there was a storm that settled over the island and the rain came down so hard, you could not see 15-20 ft. in front of you. It caused horrific flooding in the mountain decimating 3 villages and the debris would up on the beach.., it took 3-4 days to clear the beach and a lot of people got the wrong impression of the beach and the DR. They even said they were going to file complaints with their tour company. They should try Mother Nature.
All in all, the resort, in my opinion should be rated as follows:
Cleanliness and Housekeeping 5+ Stars
Hospitality and Service 5+ Stars
Food/ Restaurant 4 ½ Stars
Entertainment can’t judge as we didn’t see many of the shows. Seen way too many over the last 13 years.
Rooms 4 ½ star (a dresser would help)
Beach 4 Stars
Facilities 4 ½ Stars
Management 5+ Star
Staff / Help 5++ Star

To sum it up, as I previously said, this was the best vacation ever.
My concerns last year when we heard that Blue Bay Getaway was going
to take over the resort, were totally alleviated. The new Director /
Manager is really turning this into the best resort on the North Coast.
We are already booking next years vacation and are looking at going
Down for Christmas and New Years as soon as airline tickets become
Available. This is a resort worth looking at.
PS. No children ! Ken & Lynne
skate8

Return to Dominican Republic Travel Forum