West Indies Maps
Tourist Islands of
the West Indies
$12.95

Illness and mosquitos

Travel & news discussion about the Dominican Republic

Illness and mosquitos

Postby Elizabeth » Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:46 pm

I am trying to put together a trip for 5 adults and 5 kids. Mayan, Cuba or Puerto Plata. My girlfriend is afraid of Puerto Plata because she has read so much about people getting sick and mosquitos. any opions would be appreciated. Looking to travel in mid April and Dominican has the best prices.
Thanks in advance
Elizabeth
Elizabeth

Postby nkelly » Sun Mar 12, 2006 10:42 pm

Hi E!
Years ago we were in PP and really do not like it. We are always hesitant about the DR but this time in PC we did not have any stomach issues at all and it was great. The only thing we avoided was fruit. We also did not get any mossy bites. I sat beside a young girl while using the internet, her legs were full of bites. I commented about the bites and she advised me "not to fall asleep on the golf course" Ha Ha!! Fortunately, it was not something I had on the agenda and I managed to avoid getting bitten.
nkelly
nkelly

Postby luvthesun » Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:22 am

I don't think it's really fair to say "don't go to Puerta Plata " because you were sick there once! I have been to both POP & PC and have never been sick either place. There are some beautiful resorts in PC & beautiful beaches, but still more expensive than POP. There is a lot more to do in POP .You can visit the towns of Cabarete & Sousa- really touristy with lots of cafes,markets, beaches to snorkle,wind surf etc .If you just want to stay at the resort than PC would be ok. You can get sick at a 5* resort if you drink,eat stay in the sun too long!! use common sense you'll be fine.We are leaving again this Sunday for POP
luvthesun

Return to Dominican Republic Travel Forum