West Indies Maps
Tourist Islands of
the West Indies
$12.95

Negril Day Trip - Martha Brae

Travel & news discussion about Jamaica

Negril Day Trip - Martha Brae

Postby travel.tripper » Fri Dec 16, 2005 11:59 am

Has anyone made the trek to Martha Brae from Negril? Is it the only spot that does the bamboo raft? I think it sounds really romantic as only two sit on the raft. I think it's an all day thing, but I'd like to know if it's worth the trek?
travel.tripper

matha brae

Postby tpon » Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:53 pm

have you checked into the mayfield falls tour? Not as romantic but really awesome country side and natural falls with pools to climb and swim in. We did martha brae about 10 years ago when we were staying closer to it and it was okay. nothing to rant and rave about imho!
tpon

tpon

Postby travel.tripper » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:20 am

yeah, we checked into mayfield falls and Y.S. falls too, guess they really are better choices considering the location. So you didn't think Martha Brae was all that huh? Well, maybe we'll skip it since it's really pricey anyway!

Any suggestions on who to use for the tours? I'm thinking of Talk of the Town Tours, they seem reputable.
travel.tripper

Postby tpon » Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:53 pm

I have heard good things about them but we have always used and referred people to Errol. check out his website if you are interested.

errolflynntours.com
tpon

errol

Postby travel.tripper » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:37 am

hey there! I've heard of errol before somewhere... I'll check him out. Since it's our first time, we booked our transfer w/ our room thru negrilonestop. I've heard good things about them, hope all goes well! I'll check out errol for our tours. I think that wild thing cruise looks neat too! Is that the cruise that takes you to pirate's cave? Or is there another one?
travel.tripper

cat cruise

Postby tpon » Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:12 pm

We have done the cat cruise once to ricks cafe about 6 years ago it was fun to do once. we tokk a taxi to pirate's cave from swept away, negril 2 years a go and didn't like the set up. last year, rick's was destroyed so we we ended up at xtabi for some drinking and jumping. Ricks is now rebuilt, complete with a pool right next to the cliffs with tables in it. reggae bands plays every day. While more "touristy" then pirates cave we prefer ricks approach and we will take errol van to it. i believe he provides free transfers to Ricks. hope this helps!
tpon

Postby travel.tripper » Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:28 am

tpon: hmmm, Errol quoted me $5 per person to rick's. oh well. I hear you can barter quite a bit there and I know to always confirm price before getting into a cab. Thanks for the info!
travel.tripper

ricks

Postby tpon » Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:15 pm

Wasn't sure as i stated about free or not. But $5 is a great price especially since it is so much less than a cat cruise. thanks for the update!
tpon

Postby travel.tripper » Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:25 pm

hey tpon: I saw the fee advertised on Errol's website and emailed him for the quote. He's offering 50% discount for the shuttle. The $5 per person is the discount. Yeah, not bad for the price. I'm thinking of taking our own snorkel gear, not sure if they provide it there or if it's costly. Although I have no idea where to buy fins or if I should just forget those and try to rent them there -- after all, we only get to go snorkeling twice a year! Maybe if I can find them cheaply...
travel.tripper

Postby travel.tripper » Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:26 pm

oh yeah, then there's the darn mask! We have the snout part, the hose, from when we visited xtapa in Mexico.
travel.tripper

Postby tpon » Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:33 pm

Are you planning to snorkel at ricks? water can be rough! if you want to snorkel the cliffs, you might want to inquire about xtabi. a lot easier to enter and exit water etc. I think they even rent the gear.
tpon

Postby travel.tripper » Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:08 pm

actually I have no idea where to snorkel, that's one reason why I thought about one of those cruises, I hear they take you snorkeling (a reef?).

I'll look into xtabi -- thanks so much for the input. I didn't think the water was rough at ricks!
travel.tripper

Postby tpon » Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:53 pm

It is up on the cliffs. For snorkeling, if your are staying at coco, you can use famous vincent. he will pick you up on the beach and take you out to the reefs.
tpon

Postby travel.tripper » Wed Jan 11, 2006 3:11 pm

so should we not bother trying to snorkel at xtabi? Do we really need to bring gear? (we aren't that picky about renting it if it is cheap).

oh, and how can I contact Famous Vincent? Thanks!
travel.tripper

Postby tpon » Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:16 pm

Iwouldn't bring my stuff. Check out this website:
http://www.negriljamaica.com/negrilscubacentre.html
tpon

Next

Return to Jamaica Travel Forum