Tourist Islands of
the West Indies
$12.95

Jakes' Treasure Beach

Travel & news discussion about Jamaica

Jakes' Treasure Beach

Postby KarenS » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:10 am

From a recent press release:
"Cool" is the word at Jake's, where both body and mind chill out thanks to the beachcomber lifestyle. A bohemian resort located near a secluded fishing village, Jake's offers a variety of opportunities to escape from the heat. The legendary Pelican Bar, located on a sandbar at sea, is a local hotspot for those in the know, where snorkeling and refreshing cocktails maintain the relaxed island vibe. YS Falls, an untouched, exquisite 120-foot, 8-tiered spectacle, features cool pools perfect for swimming and rope swing thrills. Enjoy fishing and boating excursions by sunrise or moonlight. Summer rates start at $115 per person per night based on double occupancy and include a complimentary trip to the Pelican Bar.

Anyone been here? *Bohemian*...is that mean artsy or run-down I wonder?
Karen for Caribbean-On-Line.com
KarenS
Site Admin

Postby jagirl » Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:41 am

I used to go there at least once a year. But haven't been in about three years.

As I remember it, Jakes is quite lovely. In fact Treasure Beach on a whole is how I picture what Jamaica used to be. Quiet, friendly, beautiful.

It's not at all run-down. I wouldn't say artsy...but rather rustic is how I would describe it.

If you're looking for nightlife, excitement and wild, this isn't where you need to be. That's Negril. If you're looking for quiet, romantic and peaceful relaxation, then Treasure Beach is the spot.
jagirl

Postby jagirl » Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:42 am

Funny enough I've never been to or even seen Pelican Bar! :-) How could that be?!!! LOL!
jagirl

Jakes

Postby ohliz » Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:25 pm

I've eaten there a couple of itmes and been to the bar, when staying elsewhere in TB. It is funky...not run down. Intentionally funky. My overall impression was good, mellow vibe, cool people around, rather bohemian. Good food, nice beach next door, seawater pool, and the bar is a gathering place for the community.

If you need AC I don't think they have it.
ohliz

Postby jagirl » Sun Oct 22, 2006 9:54 pm

Actually they do have AC.

Jakes is also the venue for the annual Calabash Literary Festival.
jagirl

Return to Jamaica Travel Forum