West Indies Maps
Tourist Islands of
the West Indies
$12.95

Opinions Needed

Travel & news discussion about Jamaica

Opinions Needed

Postby Brian » Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:11 am

My wife and I are trying to decide between the Sandals Montego Bay and the Sandals Royal Caribbean for a trip in March of 2008. We are going to be celebrating our 10th anniversary and are having a hard time making the choice between the two resorts. I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on which one of the two resorts they would prefer and why? Thanks for any help.
Brian

Wow

Postby Brian » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:39 am

Over 250 views and not one reply or opinion. This really used to be a great board with tons of active posters. It's really sad to see it turn into what it has become.
Brian

Postby Anthony » Thu Aug 16, 2007 3:38 pm

Hi Brian,
Sorry for the lack of response - we keep trying to provide these forums in the hope that people will participate, but the majority seems to have moved on for one reason or another. I still think that maybe one day people will start to trickle back here. It only takes one or two active posters to bring a forum to life.
Thanks for trying -
Anthony for Caribbean-On-Line
Anthony
Site Admin

Postby Lsuth » Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:41 pm

I personally haven't stayed at either one but I have heard not so great things about Sandals in Montego Bay.

If you don't have your heart set on Sandals you might consider Couples Resorts. We love Couples Ocho Rios and have plans to return for our 9th visit in Feb. We have also stayed at Couples Sans Souci and Couples Negril.

You can check out my photos and trip reports on my web site at www.roselynn.net Feel free to email me questions.
Lsuth

Sandals in Montego Bay

Postby brendat » Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:51 pm

Hi Brian, I have personally been to Sandals Montego Bay a few years ago and really loved the resort. The beach was beautiful and the service was top notch.

Sandals Royal Caribbean does have the off-shore private island, something Montego Bay does not.

For an anniversary, all you would have to do is let your travel agent know you are celebrating and they would note the record. Usually the hotel will do something extra for you in honor of your special occasion!

As far as amenities (pools, restaurants, and bars) they are very similar in how many they offer. You also have the dine around plan with the share privileges between the resorts.

I think either resort would be a great choice. In terms of price, Sandals Royal Caribbean is slightly less expensive, however, not enough to make a significant difference.

Hope this helps your decision! Here is a link with some further detailed information - http://www.goawaytravel.com/html/sandals.html
brendat

Thank you.

Postby Brian » Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:54 pm

We looked into that a little. Trouble is that we have two little ones who will be staying with the grandparents. We don't want to be away from them long, we are only going for 5 days 4 nights. Because of that, we pretty much narrowed are choice to Montego Bay Resorts this trip to maximize our time at the resort.

Thanks for the reply. I will take a look at the link & keep your suggestion in mind for future trips. This will be our 5th trip to the island and I'm always open for new suggestions. Thanks again!

Brian

Lsuth wrote:I personally haven't stayed at either one but I have heard not so great things about Sandals in Montego Bay.

If you don't have your heart set on Sandals you might consider Couples Resorts. We love Couples Ocho Rios and have plans to return for our 9th visit in Feb. We have also stayed at Couples Sans Souci and Couples Negril.

You can check out my photos and trip reports on my web site at www.roselynn.net Feel free to email me questions.
Brian

Re: Sandals in Montego Bay

Postby Brian » Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:08 pm

Glad to see your reply. We actually went ahead and booked at Sandals MBJ this weekend. Based off of everything we read in terms of resort reviews, it seemed to have a little more night life the Royal Caribbean. Since we are 34 & 33, it seemed to be a good fit.
Like you mentioned the exchange privileges will give us a chance to check out the R.C. as well.

Good call on mentioning the anniversary to the travel agent. I don't think I mentioned that when I booked. Any little extras they provide would be a nice surprise for my wife. I'll call back and make mention of it.

I'll be sure to check out the link as well. Thanks for the thoughts.

Brian

brendat wrote:Hi Brian, I have personally been to Sandals Montego Bay a few years ago and really loved the resort. The beach was beautiful and the service was top notch.

Sandals Royal Caribbean does have the off-shore private island, something Montego Bay does not.

For an anniversary, all you would have to do is let your travel agent know you are celebrating and they would note the record. Usually the hotel will do something extra for you in honor of your special occasion!

As far as amenities (pools, restaurants, and bars) they are very similar in how many they offer. You also have the dine around plan with the share privileges between the resorts.

I think either resort would be a great choice. In terms of price, Sandals Royal Caribbean is slightly less expensive, however, not enough to make a significant difference.

Hope this helps your decision! Here is a link with some further detailed information - http://www.goawaytravel.com/html/sandals.html
Brian

Return to Jamaica Travel Forum