West Indies Maps
Tourist Islands of
the West Indies
$12.95

Unions may strike

Travel & news discussion about Puerto Rico

Unions may strike

Postby KarenS » Sun May 07, 2006 7:46 am

From the Orlando Sentinel: "SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico -- Union leaders in Puerto Rico threatened Friday to call a general strike that could paralyze the island unless lawmakers found a way to end a government shutdown that has put 100,000 people out of work.

If no agreement is reached, unions representing more than 50,000 electricians, truckers and other private-sector workers would strike Tuesday to show solidarity with the thousands of teachers and other public employees thrown out of work this week because of the government's fiscal crisis.

'It's time to end this injustice and abuse against our people,' Ricardo Santos, president of the Electrical Industry Workers Union, told hundreds of protesters gathered outside the Capitol.

Meanwhile, more than 45,000 teachers and about 600,000 students remained out of school, and several municipalities throughout the island have suspended public services and left thousands without garbage collection, police enforcement and other municipal services.

'I really do feel like these lawmakers are playing with our lives and our children's well-being," said Wendy Santiago, who marched with her 12-year-old daughter. "While the Legislature meets for a few minutes and recesses for several hours, we're out here without jobs, no money for this week and possibly next. I don't know what to do.'"

...this then would effect tourism I would think. Opinions? Stand by for more info on this precarious situation!
Karen for Caribbean-On-Line.com
KarenS
Site Admin

Return to Puerto Rico Travel Forum