West Indies Maps
Tourist Islands of
the West Indies
$12.95

Delicious Puerto Rico

Travel & news discussion about Puerto Rico

Delicious Puerto Rico

Postby KarenS » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:08 am

...on a Caribbean stint last month, I learned something about food in San Juan. It has the best in the Caribbean. You can look it up. My "Rough Guide to the Caribbean" reads, "San Juan is garnering a reputation as the culinary capital of the Caribbean." Frommer's writes, "San Juan has the widest array of restaurants in the Caribbean."
It has received major international play from former world boxing champion Tito Trinidad and singer Ricky Martin, two native sons who have traveled with their own Puerto Rican chefs and touted the cuisine as the best in the world.
Who knew?
I didn't. My most memorable meal previously in San Juan was ... was ... um, I couldn't remember one. I feel the same way about my visits to Des Moines.
But San Juan is carving out a name in a region that offers competition as stiff as the rum I had on this trip. (I woke up on my last day with an eye patch and a parrot.) There's the jerk cuisine of Jamaica, the curried seafood of Tobago, the grilled flying-fish sandwiches in St. Kitts and Nevis and, of course, the Fish Friday of my beloved St. Lucia.
This isn't like being the best restaurant in Rifle. San Juan has risen above the competition, if you buy the hype, by combining Old and New World cuisines. It's Spanish colonialization meets American innovation.
It can all be found in Old San Juan. Think New Orleans' French Quarter with a samba beat. Its narrow, brick streets lined with small, pastel buildings of pink, aqua, yellow and orange, all adorned with elaborately ordained wrought-iron balconies and flowerpots. Only the iron-barred gates on the closed storefronts indicate the atmosphere here isn't always Spanish love songs.

For the full article go <a href="http://www.denverpost.com/headlines/ci_6336775">here.</a>
Karen for Caribbean-On-Line.com
KarenS
Site Admin

Return to Puerto Rico Travel Forum