West Indies Maps
Tourist Islands of
the West Indies
$12.95

What has happened to this forum????

Travel & news discussion about St. Lucia

What has happened to this forum????

Postby MShell » Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:39 am

Am I the only one who has noticed that since the site changed over it's become inundated with news items?
This used to be a great site to chat about St Lucia, exchange views & experiences and offer or ask for advice. These days it seems that the regulars just don't bother posting as the posts get lost under a mountain of news articles.
I personally feel this is a shame as if I want to read the St Lucia news I have a look on the St Lucia Star website ( http://www.stluciastar.com/ )
Can we forget the news items and have it back the way it used to be?
MShell

Postby CaribSurfer » Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:39 am

I have to agree with you. I used to visit and contribute regularly to thes forums. But now I only come here sporadically for the reasons you pointed out.

Most of the "news items" are posted by KarenS and while her efforts may be well meaning they actually detract from the discussion aspects of this forum. Most of what she posts is general information that can be found in the mainstream media. I get the impression she believes she has some "quota" of posts to fill so the forums look like they get a lot of action. I stopped reading Karens posts quite some time ago. I know Anthony is trying to liven up these forums but IMHO the way he is going about it is not working.
CaribSurfer

Postby Anthony » Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:59 pm

We are just trying to stay current. Expanding the forums to travel and news was something that most people seemed to want when we did it. The fact is there are just many more forums out there nowadays and it is harder and harder to get people to come to yours when you are competing against large corporations.
Anthony for Caribbean-On-Line
Anthony
Site Admin

Postby MShell » Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:35 am

I appreciate what you are trying to do Anthony, but you must have noticed a sharp decline in posts (from anyone other than KarenS) since the site changed over.
I personally don't think it's the way to go, yes if it's something that will directly affect a holidaymaker then fine, but endless news items appear to be driving the regular posters away. How did you know that it was something that most people wanted?
It used to be a fun and lively site, frankly I think it's now become very boring. If you are competing with other sites, lets get it back to the way it used to be and I am sure you will get a lot more hits.
Most people who used to visit wanted to talk about their personal experiences, give & receive advice, and get general information on what to expect. In a nutshell, people want to know more about the hotel they are going to visit and what is available there, excursions, local supermarkets, ATM machines etc than the St Lucia news items.
MShell

Postby Anthony » Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:42 am

I hear you and I appreciate the input. Unfortunately I think less people are posting because of having to register. They don't seem to have any problems registering at a million other sites, but I have had a lot of negative feedback about it here. I think part of that too is because in the past you did not have to register to post with us. That just became an uncontrollable issue though as spam continues to escalate on the web.
As far as the news, we received tons of feedback that the focus of the forums was too narrow. Maybe on some islands it wasn't as much of an issue as others. Obviously the news is not what you are looking for, and I understand your position on that. We will keep trying - please keep giving us your feedback. This particular forum system though is very popular though and I can't ever imagine going back to that old system which is totally unsupported and years out of date.
Anthony for Caribbean-On-Line
Anthony
Site Admin

Postby MShell » Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:59 am

Fair enough, maybe it is the registration that people don't like too.
I know this forum is only a small part of the site & understand that you are trying to make it appeal to a greater audience.
What about having a specific 'Caribbean News' forum? Just a thought.
By the way, I didn't mean going back to the old system in the literal sense, I was just suggesting not to bog the forum down with all the news items.

Please understand this is meant as constructive criticism, I hope that the feedback helps.
MShell

Postby stluciafriend » Fri Jul 07, 2006 3:10 pm

I must admit that recently I have not even bothered to look at this site as I don't find it interesting like it used to be.
stluciafriend

Postby Terry » Sat Jul 08, 2006 3:09 pm

I have to agree with the those that dont like the "new's items". If KarenS had the last post on an island I dont even go to that forum anymore.
Terry

Return to St. Lucia Travel Forum