West Indies Maps
Tourist Islands of
the West Indies
$12.95

St. Lucia, Windjammer, August Weather

Travel & news discussion about St. Lucia

St. Lucia, Windjammer, August Weather

Postby kimneilson » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:53 am

My husband and I are planning are 1 year anniversary at the Windjammer Landing St. Lucia August 29th through Sept. 5th. We took a once in a lifetime vacation for our honeymoon at the Four Seasons in Maui. I'm not expecting Windjammer to be on the calibur of Four Seasons, but I was wondering if anyone could share with me the quality of hotel Windjammer is. It says 4 star on Expedia, but details I was looking for is:
How's the beach?
Are the hotel's pool's nice?
What about the rooms (we just got a ocean view) - are they well kept, nice linens, bathrooms, etc.?
Will they give room upgrades if available (we'd love a plunge pool)?

We've rented a convertible jeep from Cool Breeze and they said we probably won't even use the convertible because we are going in rainy season. Does this mean our entire trip will consist of thunderstorms or is it a tropical rain in the morning opening up to sunshine?

Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!
kimneilson

Windjammer and August

Postby Rick&Leah » Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:49 pm

Regret its been a few years since we were there, but our experience with Windjammer was first-rate. As you can see from their website, most rooms are actually little cottages/villas. The larger, more modern ones are higher up the hill. We had a two-bedroom and plunge pool (I seem to recall, #71) and were very happy. They have minishuttles, but they were pretty infrequent so we usually walked up the hill. We had full board, so all drinks and full meals. Very nice food, but got old after a week. They have changed the names of their restaurants several times since our visit. We had a rental car and found the hotel VERY hard to find--its off the road from Castries up to Rodney Bay--might be best to let taxidriver get you there and then rent from the hotel. Beach is nice, and very pretty, but the good snorkeling is down at Anse Cochon by Ti Kaye Resort or even farther south around Soufriere.

Regarding weather--you realize August is right in the middle of hurricane season, so consider trip insurance.

Finally, the government is in the middle of a corruption crisis and several ministers popular with poorer St Lucians have been arrested or are under a cloud. The gov't has called out the SWAT troops to guard gov't leadership, but this will probably blow over and not/not impact tourists or the big hotels.
Rick&Leah
Rick&Leah

Return to St. Lucia Travel Forum