Tourist Islands of
the West Indies
$12.95

Antigua April 1-7

Travel & news discussion about Antigua & Barbuda

Moderator: eli

Antigua April 1-7

Postby caribbeandawn » Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:55 pm

Hi everyone. I just found this forum and I am so glad I did. I had posted some questions on Fodor's about finding a place to stay in Antigua for my family and received a couple of really good places which I hadn't found myself. I think I have narrowed down my search to the Inns at Long Bay and Cocobay. I know they are both different types of places but I don't know which would be better. I like to the smallness of Long Bay because I love making friends while on vacation but I also like to be as close to the beach as possible. We would stay at the Plantation House at Cocobay or probably the Cliff House at Long Bay. Does anyone have any strong opinions about either one (good or bad)? I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks,
Dawn
caribbeandawn

Postby eli » Fri Dec 23, 2005 5:45 am

Dawn, the beaches at long bay are hard to beat but there is always one thing about being on that side of the island that can be a problem. Getting around and exploring is not as easy as it would be from CocoBay. From Cocobay its very easy to get the bus, and taxi's to Jolly Harbour are not too bad. Jolly harbour having shops, bars and restaurants. Both are nice spots with cocobay possibly being more know for its food and long bay better known for its beaches and snorkeling. hope this helps a tiny bit, but there are many opinions on both of these very relaxing hotels. eli
eli

Thanks, Eli

Postby caribbeandawn » Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:25 pm

Darn! I thought I had figured it out. Actually, I think we are going to choose the Long Bay Hotel. I am somewhat of a beach bum and will probably only venture away from the beach one or two days during our stay. I want to try to get to Barbuda one day and sign up for one of your eco tours another. I don't snorkel but my husband and daughters do. I'll share your website with them and see what they think. How should I sign up?

Thanks again for the information. Never having been to Antigua, it is very helpful.

Dawn
caribbeandawn

Re: Antigua April 1-7

Postby Anthony » Fri Dec 23, 2005 5:22 pm

caribbeandawn wrote:Hi everyone. I just found this forum

Dawn can you tell me how you found us? Web search some where, another site, etc?

Thanks -
Anthony
Site Admin

Hi Anthony.

Postby caribbeandawn » Fri Dec 23, 2005 5:41 pm

I have been looking through so many sites that I am not 100% certain which site I found you on. It could have been a posting on Fodor's but it may have been from somewhere else. I would be happy to go back and find it if you need to know. Honestly, I have been on so many sites I can't remember what I found what through.

Did you start this forum? If so, it's wonderful. It is so nice to hear from people who have actually visited the locations I am considering.

Thank you and let me know if you need me to track down where I found you.

Dawn
caribbeandawn

Postby Anthony » Fri Dec 23, 2005 6:16 pm

That's okay - it's not that big a deal. If you had remembered it would have been interesting to know, thats all. I am glad we are finding new members here though - however they find us. We just launched this new forum system last month, but we have been running Caribbean-On-Line and some form of Caribbean travel forums for over 10 years...

You may want to read through the old forum too for related information - the old Antigua forum is here <a href="http://www.caribbean-on-line.com/islands/ab/abforum.shtml">http://www.caribbean-on-line.com/islands/ab/abforum.shtml</a>
Anthony
Site Admin

Postby Donna G » Fri Dec 23, 2005 6:22 pm

Hi Dawn,
I think you've made a good choice. One is really not better than the other, just different. The beach at Long Bay is one of the best and one of my personal favourites. On one end you will find the Pineapple Beach Resort. Long Bay Hotel is on the opposite end. In the middle is a local restaurant, beach shack (for boat rentals and chairs etc.) and a small vendors area. I highly recommend a boat trip over to Green Island which is about 10 minutes. You will feel like Robinson Caruso. I love the restaurant at Long Bay and it's open air ambiance. The hotel is very English in style but relaxed and laid back and they tend to get a lot of repeat guests so that says something.
Enjoy Donna
Donna G

Thank you, Donna

Postby caribbeandawn » Fri Dec 23, 2005 6:31 pm

After reading all of the postive postings of people who return to this same hotel over and over, I know it has to be special. I know I will be happy regardless of where we stay because I am always happy in the Caribbean. Thank you for your input because it makes me feel better about our decision.

Have a very happy holiday!

Dawn
caribbeandawn

Anthony

Postby caribbeandawn » Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:21 pm

Thinking back I can tell you that it wasn't Fodor's that I found this site. I know it was a posting site and I am trying to track it down. I am glad to have found it. Thank you for the resource.

Dawn
caribbeandawn

Long Bay vs. Coco Bay

Postby Terry - Fallston, MD » Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:37 am

Dawn,

Both are truly nice .. small resorts ... "in the scheme of things" on Antigua.

No matter what month of the year you go ... Coco Bay will (weather permitting) offer the best sunset view of the two. Long Bay Hotel affords the best sunrises between, say, April thru August. It's a matter of your own personal "timeclock" as to what you'd prefer.

There are some folks ( like my wife ) that insist on having an air-conditioned room. IMO, this NOT a necessity ... BUT .... !!!

Anyhow, although I've toured both resorts ... I've never stayed at either ... due to my own personal "constraints".

Long Bay is the best of the two for off-beach snorkeling.

If air conditoning is a "must" for anyone traveling with you and a "flying insect free" room is what you'd be most content with .... You might consider the 180 room Pineapple Beach Resort ... a few hundred yards West of Long Bay's Beach restaurant.

It's simply a matter of personal "wants" and "desires".

Coco Bay is much closer to "alternative" dining facilities than the Long Bay resorts.

Over the years, I've found that you can't have the "best" of "everything" .... However, should you choose to discover Antigua, I hope that "everything" is the very "best" for your vacation there.

Happy Holidays !
Terry - Fallston, MD

Return to Antigua & Barbuda Travel Forum