Tourist Islands of
the West Indies
$12.95

Antigua hotel search...

Travel & news discussion about Antigua & Barbuda

Moderator: eli

Antigua hotel search...

Postby volklaxe » Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:08 pm

My wife and I are planning a trip to Antigua in February (for her 50th birthday). Trying to find a hotel recommendation - all inclusive preferred, some level of evening activities, prefer no tv/ac, non-high rise beach front. Looked at the Cocobay Hotel on expedia, but it is hard to tell if it is 'low tech' or just old... and too far from the beach? Any suggestions appreciated. Any suggestions for another island would be welcome also.

Thanks
volklaxe

CocoBay and Coco's

Postby clanced » Tue Dec 27, 2005 2:02 pm

Coco's and CocoBay are two different hotels, they are located very close to one another and both are new, Cocobay is the newest, probably about 4 YO. They don't have the AC and TV, very rustic but lovely. Mozzie netting around the beds, little cottages, romantic. The only thing I don't like about either one of these hotels are they are located on hills. I just don't want to have to work that hard all day if we need to run back to the room for anything. The beaches are beautiful, hotels beautiful, food at Coco's I know is delicious as we have had dinner there a few times. Either one would be a great choice. We stay at Jolly because we like the location, very close to the marina so if you get bored you can always go over there and have a drink. When we first started going to Antigua, in 1992 or 3, Coco's was just a green hill with lots of cows on it, now it's all little cottages. You will love the island.....
clanced

Re: Antigua hotel search...

Postby Anthony » Tue Dec 27, 2005 3:56 pm

volklaxe wrote:prefer no tv/ac, non-high rise beach front

Two places come to mind - <a href="http://travel.wwte1.com/pubspec/scripts/eap.asp?GOTO=HOTDETAILS&Hotelid=16254&numadult=2&eapid=11441-30001">Caneel Bay</a> on St. John, US Virgins, and <a href="http://travel.wwte1.com/pubspec/scripts/eap.asp?GOTO=HOTDETAILS&Hotelid=532492&numadult=2&eapid=11441-30001">Little Dix</a> on Virgin Gorda, BVI.

I don't know about on site entertainment on either property. I think Little Dix is really a gorgeous place though and would love to stay there if I had the chance. We have a page about a day on <a href="/islands/bv/virgin-gorda.shtml">Virgin Gorda</a> also if you want some more information on that island.

If you are looking on Expedia please give us a look too - we have virtually identical inventory.

Good luck!
Anthony for Caribbean-On-Line
Anthony
Site Admin

Resort suggestion

Postby Donna G » Tue Dec 27, 2005 5:50 pm

Antigua has many different options from rustic to luxury. Check out "Galley Bay" or "Blue Waters" which are both on the luxury scale. They might be what you are looking for, especially for a 50th. Both are gorgeous and offer AI & some entertainment.
Good locations to other sights and town. Both resorts are very intimate and mainly couples. I think you would enjoy either one.

I think if you pick Antigua you made the right choice.
Cheers Donna
Donna G

Postby Anthony » Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:33 am

I have also heard many good things about Galley Bay - but this is not exactly a no TV no AC kind of place is it? I hear that is has perhaps the best food of any AI in the Caribbean.
Anthony for Caribbean-On-Line
Anthony
Site Admin

Postby Steve CH » Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:57 am

I agree with Clanced. If you don't want air con, then Coco's or Cocobay would be great choices. Personally, I'd pick Coco's, as it's smaller, has more character and is nearer to the facilities at Jolly Harbour. Their website is www.cocoshotel.com
Steve CH

Postby volklaxe » Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:34 am

Thanks for all the input! We are leaning towards Cocos or Cocobay, but reading some reviews has us concerned about the wildlife (the small-flying-biting kind). Are the bugs really that bad? Is it worse at these two spots, or just as bad elsewhere?
volklaxe

Postby Steve CH » Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:43 am

You can get bitten wherever you stay if you don't take the right precautions:

1. Cover up and leave the beach at dusk. Some of the most prolific biters live on the beach.

2. When you get changed for the evening, put on a DEET based repellant and light a coil (provided at Coco's and Cocobay) in your room.

3. Wear long sleeves and trousers to dinner.

4. Perfumes can attract bugs. Don't wear it.

3. At bed time, check that there are no bugs inside your mosquito net, and that it is properly closed without any holes.

All this might sound harsh, but when you are in the tropics, you have to adapt.
Steve CH

mozzies

Postby clanced » Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:55 pm

We have been to Antigua many times and have only had one problem, one time with mozzies. We were at the former lobster pot, they had a lowrise wall around the parimenter of the restaurant, so the mozzies were down at our legs and feet all night. All the other outside restaurants we have been to haven't had that lowrise wall, so the gentle trade winds keep the mozzies moving right past us. We have never had probs with mozzies in our room as we always have ac, hubby likes ac and I really don't care. We don't use bug spray on ourselves either. Maybe they just don't like us in Antigua, but the big summer mozzies up here in NH love us!! So if you go out to restaurants at night, just be sure not to be seated near a low wall. I agree that Coco's is probably the better choice, it's very close to the marina where there is lots to do.
clanced

Mozzies??

Postby Fiestygrl » Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:20 pm

Ok, saw this in the posting about hotel choices and I am totally lost as to what it is referring to when it talks about mozzies. Are we talking mosqitos?? Sorry, thought I better check since we are heading for Grand Pineapple Beach in about 3 weeks lol!
Thanks!
Fiestygrl
(Jan)
Fiestygrl

Postby Donna G » Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:38 pm

Hi Fiestygirl,
Mozzies are the little mosquitos with the British accents. Antigua is lucky to have lots of breeze to blow them off. However, follow Steves reply (above)to avoid getting bitten, it can ruin your vacation. I've seen many people with bites that look like boils they are so huge and sore. The main times of day to be careful is sunrise and sunset, especially on the beach. There are sand flies that come out and they bite.

Don't worry about it just look after yourself and you'll be fine.
Enjoy Donna
Donna G

Postby Fiestygrl » Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:41 pm

Thanks Donna,
Though after reading your description I admit I am now very concerned LOL! I will have to find a non-aresol with DEET in it now since squiters love me! (That's a Canadian mosquito ;) lol) The mere thought of going around with a bite the size of a boil is NOT something I want on my vacation lol!!
Fiestygrl

Donna G wrote:Hi Fiestygirl,
Mozzies are the little mosquitos with the British accents. Antigua is lucky to have lots of breeze to blow them off. However, follow Steves reply (above)to avoid getting bitten, it can ruin your vacation. I've seen many people with bites that look like boils they are so huge and sore. The main times of day to be careful is sunrise and sunset, especially on the beach. There are sand flies that come out and they bite.

Don't worry about it just look after yourself and you'll be fine.
Enjoy Donna
Fiestygrl

mozzie stuff

Postby Donna G » Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:45 pm

Hi again,
I also live in Canada and always us "Johnson's Off lotion" (not the oil). It's sold at most drugstores. It really works good and smells nice too. Good after sun lotion for your legs and feet. Not greasy. I've used it for years and love it.
Cheers Donna
Donna G

Re: mozzie stuff

Postby Fiestygrl » Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:47 pm

Cool, thanks for the suggestion. Not sure I have seen that, but will hit the drug stores to see if I can find it!
Fiestygrl

P.S.
Hope you got better weather than we do in Ottawa right now!
Donna G wrote:Hi again,
I also live in Canada and always us "Johnson's Off lotion" (not the oil). It's sold at most drugstores. It really works good and smells nice too. Good after sun lotion for your legs and feet. Not greasy. I've used it for years and love it.
Cheers Donna
Fiestygrl

Re: mozzie stuff

Postby Donna G » Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:47 pm

Donna G wrote:Hi again,
I also live in Canada and always use "Johnson's Off lotion" (not the oil). It's sold at most drugstores. It really works good and smells nice too. Good after sun lotion for your legs and feet. Not greasy. I've used it for years and love it.
Cheers Donna
Donna G

Next

Return to Antigua & Barbuda Travel Forum