Tourist Islands of
the West Indies
$12.95

St. Maarten for the day

Travel & news discussion about this half French, half Dutch island

Moderator: Tedly

St. Maarten for the day

Postby Susan » Sun Oct 22, 2006 11:56 am

We will be in St. Maarten for the day on Thursday 11/9. Three couples, not into partying. We have rented a minivan for the day and want to see the sights. My husband and I have been once before and did a basic bus tour, but that is it...the other two couples have never been, and probably will never come back again.

What would you suggest? We are on a cruise, so we will have about 10 hours to spend.

Thanks!
Sue :)
Susan

Sightseeing....

Postby Bobcat » Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:14 pm

A visit to Orient Beach to start, then around to Grand Case and down to Marigot, have lunch in the Marina Port La Royale, ( a nice place is La Croissanterie or La Petite Auberge, both inexpensive but very enjoyable) then off to the Dutch side and Maho / Simpson Bay and on to Philipsburg.

Spend some shopping time in both Marigot & in Philipsburg.

While in Marigot visit Ft Louis for outstanding views and a photo opportunity and at Philipsburg visit Little Bay's Ft Amsterdam for more photo opportunities.
Bobcat

Postby Susan » Sun Oct 22, 2006 3:16 pm

Thank you for the suggestions! We will be starting in Phillipsburg at the cruise port.

I have heard about the butterfly farm...is that something worth doing?
Susan

Butterfly Farm....

Postby Bobcat » Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:14 pm

Yes, The farm is very close to Orient Beach so you can stop there and incorporate it into your visit to this famous beach.

Yes, I know you will be starting from Philipsburg, that is why I saved it for the end of your day. There is also a Zoo in Philipsburg which may be of interest to you or your group.

There are a couple of small museums on the island, I'm not even sure if they are open, it's been many years since we visited them. One is in Philipsburg and one is in Marigot, in the Marina Port La Royale.

Hope this helps.
Bobcat

Postby Susan » Sun Oct 22, 2006 7:17 pm

We were wondering about the zoo too...

You are right, it is a good idea to do Phillipsburg last...I remember we did our shopping in that area last time.

Thank you soooo much! :)
Susan

Philipsburg

Postby Bobcat » Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:44 pm

You're in for a real treat if you have not been to Philipsburg before or have not been there in quite some time. The old town has put on a new face, with a "boardwalk" along the beach front, full of shops, cafes, etc, Front Street has also been updated and is looking good. Hope you enjoy your visit.
Bobcat

Return to St. Martin - St. Maarten Travel Forum