Tourist Islands of
the West Indies
$12.95

My Short Trip Report

Travel & news discussion about this half French, half Dutch island

Moderator: Tedly

My Short Trip Report

Postby Frankie » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:39 pm

Was on island 11/8 to 11/13. Upon landing I had lunch with the Queen. Only kidding, but I was there during the Queen's visit and all in all with the Queen's visit it really was not that bad as far as traffic disruption, it was not great but under the circumstances not that bad. Anyway my short report.
The new airport is better then I expected total A/C and seems to be more staff now. Very impressive. I don't like the walk from the parking lot that now has you walking across airport road, however if you're there just for drop off or pick up, that works fine. Cliffhanger beach bar is open and has a new owner "Mario" but the beach is washed out. The old Bannanas is now Toppers, I did not go but heard good things about Toppers. They still have Prime Rib night, but no more bacon wrapped scallops. Orient beach was jumping in full swing. A bit of beach erosion on Club Orient has narrowed the beach a tad. Was warned several times by locals to be extra carefull while driving on the French side. The Police are very strict with speeders, seat belts, open containers, etc. You will have to pay your fine right then so take it slow its around $120 fine for speeding.If the sign says 50 Kilometers don't exceed it. They have put up alot of new speed limit signs. Parking in Phillipsburg is impossible. The free lot across from the police station has been pushed further out and limited now due to new construction of God knows what. I'm beginning to think the easiest way to see phillipsburg is to come in by cruise ship. Mullet Bay beach looked great as did Great Bay beach. The food was great at Pineapple Petes. The Frankie "G" show is wonderfull at the Red Piano Bar at the Pelican and was the talk of the island. The golf course was in good shape, Sliced my second shot on the 15th onto Mullet Bay Beach. I drove the cart right onto the beach and grabbed a cold beer at the snack stand. Could'nt find the ball, yes!!!! I took the penalty stroke and dropped one in the rough. A new web site started up thats pretty good Zebrabot.com check it out. I saw "Lenny" filming a clip for the site at Andy & Cheryl's Baywatch Beach Bar in Orient. Thanks!!!!
Frankie
Frankie

Return to St. Martin - St. Maarten Travel Forum