Tourist Islands of
the West Indies
$12.95

Mini trip report Nov. 27-Dec. 3, 2006

Travel & news discussion about this half French, half Dutch island

Moderator: Tedly

Mini trip report Nov. 27-Dec. 3, 2006

Postby jddealer » Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:31 pm

Just got back from a weeks vacation to Anguilla and St. Martin. Here's a little mini trip report for all those that helped me research before my trip.

Flights down were good. Flew US Air into the new terminal on St. Martin and ferried over to Anguilla. Pretty uneventful for the most part, so we were happy. Stayed at CuisinArt for the first half of the week. Beautiful place. Room was clean, bathroom was spectacular, and the room was nice, even though I thought there'd be a few more amenities with such a high-scale resort. Beach was excellent and made for a wonderful morning walk each day.

Here's our week in a nutshell:

First day we enjoyed a couple's massage at CuisinArt. Hung out on the beach most of the day and made our way to Oliver's for dinner that night. Good meal. Second day we rented a car and headed over to the opposite side of the island. The wind had picked up something fierce out of the north, so all of those beaches were getting pounded by waves and wind. Worked our way over to Little Bay and were protected fairly well from the wind. Beautiful place if you can get there when no one else is around. Probably one of the better snorkle spots on the island also, but was so-so on a windy and semi-overcast day. Ate at the Straw Hat that evening. Great place and great service. The third day we moved from Anguilla to St. Martin. Stayed at Orient Beach at the Alamanda Resort. Nice little place, right in the middle of everything on the beach. Quite a change going from the quietness of Anguilla to the the hustle & bustle of St. Martin. Walked from our hotel that night to the Plantation restaurant. This was our favorite meal of the trip. Food presentation and quality was unmatched by any place we had been to previously. Our fifth day was supposed to be spend doing the 12 Metre tour, but it got cancelled due to the high waves. I can't blame them...it was very windy. We spent our time on the boardwalk in Philipsburg doing some shopping and eating. Nice little ice cream shop called Chocolat & Vanilla that was outstanding. Made a special trip to go back there again the next day. Went to some of the south beaches (Maho area) to escape the waves and wind. Made our way up to Grand Case for the first time and ate at California that evening. Again, food was good. Our last full day we ended up at Friar's Bay. It was protected from the wind, plus they have a beach bar to grab food and drinks from when needed. Ate at Auberge in Grand Case. Again, good food.

All in all, a good trip. Anguilla was more our style. Even though we are younger, I prefer to vacation at my own pace, so Anguilla seemed to fit us more than St. Martin. Choices for food, shopping and entertainment are much greater on St. Martin. If the wind would have cooperated a little more, we'd have hit a few more beaches, but we were limited to small little bays out of the massive north wind that had stirred up. We'd like to go back, but there are so many more places we'd like to experience first.
________
Ferrari 195 S specifications
jddealer

Return to St. Martin - St. Maarten Travel Forum