West Indies Maps
Tourist Islands of
the West Indies
$12.95

Boxing in Trinidad & Tobago

Travel & news discussion about Trinidad & Tobago

Boxing in Trinidad & Tobago

Postby KarenS » Tue May 16, 2006 7:57 am

From newsday.co.tt: "A NUMBER of former world boxing champions have been lined up to make a visit to Trinidad and Tobago for the Caribbean Amateur Boxing Association (CABA) Cham-pionships carded for May 26 to June 1.

Among them are Mike Tyson, Evander Holyfield, Thomas ‚ÄúThe Hitman‚ÄĚ Hearns, Felix Trinidad, Roberto ‚Äú Hands of Stone‚ÄĚ Duran and Lennox Lewis.

Allan Ferguson, the chairman of CABA organising committee said invitations have been sent out to the former champions and he is awaiting a response. Accor-ding to Ferguson, the invitations have been issued to the boxers as possible replacements for Sugar Ray Leonard and George Foreman, the first choice of the organisers,

Sugar Ray and Foreman were invited for the championships in a move to publicise the tournament which is expected to be the biggest and most competitive to be staged in the twin-island republic.

Ferguson revealed he was unsure of whether Leonard and Foreman could make the trip if business organisations did not come to their assistance. Government has provided $525,000 for the championships but organisers have been asking for another $250,000 to get the big name boxers to attend.

Leonard and Foreman are billed to visit schools, orphanages and depressed areas in Trinidad and Tobago to motivate the young people.

Ferguson however gave the assurance that if Leonard and Foreman are unable to make the trip, his organisation would invite someone of similar stature."
Karen for Caribbean-On-Line.com
KarenS
Site Admin

Postby shalley » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:27 am

I have huge shoulders and bones already and I am still growing so I don't want to make them larger or become really bulky. Since I am still growing I don't want the muscles to tighten through martial arts and now grow anymore. I want to attend because I've always been interested in martial arts, and I'm willing to put in an hour a day of practice and more for when there is class. What form of martial arts is best for me?

Return to Trinidad & Tobago Travel Forum