Tourist Islands of
the West Indies
$12.95

Carnival 2007

Travel & news discussion about Trinidad & Tobago

Carnival 2007

Postby BELLE50 » Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:10 pm

Hello,
I am new to the Trinidad community and I need some input. I need information re cheap accommondations for next years carnival. What part of town are the festivities held, and how close to the beaches are they. Looking to book a reservation soon and don't want to be too far from the action but want to be safe. Any and all info is greatly apprciated.
Thanks
BELLE50

Postby KarenS » Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:28 am

I asked your question to a gentleman who is very well informed about Trinidad and Tobago. His answer:

"For Carnival nightly rates usually go waaaaaaay up as of course the DEMAND is there.

How many nights were they looking at? Would they prefer an efficiency-type place or just a room?

If they're looking at room-only, Monique's or Carnetta's in Maraval may be an option to look at that's a bit more affordable than the larger hotels. Also Coblentz Inn in St. Ann's. Let them do a google search for online visuals, etc.

These properties are all approved by the Tourism Company as well."

Information about what bands are playing where can be found <a href="http://www.carnivalondenet.com/">here.</a>
Karen for Caribbean-On-Line.com
KarenS
Site Admin

Carnival 2007-Reasonable lodging needed

Postby BELLE50 » Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:41 pm

I would prefer an efficiency but would settle for a nice room. How close are the areas you mentioned to the carnival action. I gather the bands are the big attractions. can you follow behind them like you used to be able to do at Caribana? how far are these areas from the beach? I was thinking of going to tobago after carnival..what means of transportation are available and in what price range. hank you for any assistance you can give me.
BELLE50

Postby KarenS » Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:24 am

I have again inquired by my very knowledgable and helpful friend. His reply:

"I would prefer an efficiency but would settle for a nice room.

OF THE THREE I MENTIONED, THE NICEST ROOM WOULD BE AT COBLENTZ INN (OUTSIDE OF SOME OF THE CHAIN NAMES AT HIGHER RATES).

How close are the areas you mentioned to the carnival action.

OF THE 3 I MENTIONED, COBLENTZ IS THE CLOSEST (4 MINUTE CAR RIDE). THE OTHERS WOULD BE A 10 MINUTE CAR RIDE.

I gather the bands are the big attractions.

SURE. BUT THE SUNDAY BEFORE CARNIVAL MONDAY IS DIMANCHE GRAS WHICH SHOWCASES THE VERY LARGE COSTUMES AND IT IS ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL.

THE SATURDAY NIGHT BEFORE IS PAN (STEELPAN) COMPETITIONS AS WELL.

can you follow behind them like
you used to be able to do at Caribana?

GENERALLY YES, THOUGH DEPENDING ON HOW STRICT THE BAND SECURITY IS, THEY PREFER NON-COSTUMED FOLKS ON THE SIDE OR AT THE BACK.

how far are these areas from
the beach?

TRINIDAD IS LAID OUT VERY DIFFERENTLY TO THE SMALLER ISLANDS. THE CLOSEST BEACH IS ABOUT 40 MINUTES FROM COBLENTZ AND 30 MINUTES FROM MONIQUE'S OR CARNETTA'S.

I was thinking of going to tobago after carnival.

EXCELLENT IDEA. BEAUTIFUL PLACE TO CATCH SOME R&R.

what means of transportation are available and in what price range.

TWO FERRIES A DAY FROM PORT OF SPAIN, ABOUT $20 US ROUND TRIP. THERE'S A SLOW ONE THAT TAKES 5 HOURS AND A FAST ONE THAT TAKES 2.5. AND THERE ARE HOURLY FLIGHTS FROM PIARCO INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT AT $50 US ROUND TRIP.

HOPE THIS HELPS.
KarenS
Site Admin

Carnival 2007

Postby BELLE50 » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:05 pm

Thank you Karen Your response has helped a great deal. I will continue my search right now. One more question...i've seen lots of ads for costumes and you mentioned needing to be incostume to travel the parade route.. where do you get a costume and about how much? thanks again
BELLE50

Postby KarenS » Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:06 am

My good friend's suggestion is to go to hartscarnival.com and register online. I'm supposing you can see prices there also. However, he does say Harts caters a bit more to the younger crowd. He continues that most bands are online so this part should be quite smooth for you. If you would feel more comfortable with a slightly older crowd he's offered to do a google search for the web addresses of some other bands.

Are you alone or going with someone?
KarenS
Site Admin

Carnival 2007

Postby BELLE50 » Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:16 am

I am a 50some female carnival chaser planning to travel alone....... most people can't make their minds up to far in advance. I'd like to sit some but if the mood strikes me i'd like to follow the rhythm.
any tips on safety, and what i should be sure to see in trini before going to tobago? thanks
BELLE50

Postby KarenS » Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:52 am

Thanks for all of your questions. They have led to some great information!

My friend replies:
Carnival is actually one of the safest times of the year due to the fact that security is heightened for the events, our visitors, and general activities.

Practice the usual rules of a large US city I would say.

Of course doing things in groups is always safer, so make friends. But it's not unheard of for single travellers to experience Carnival quite safely.

The bands would usually sell out by early December, but hotels could sell out as early as end of October.

In Trinidad besides the main Carnival days, she would probably love Dimanche Gras the Sunday night before Carnival. HUGE Carnival costumes paraded across a stage, and final Calypso competitions as well at that same event.

If she's into the steel pan, Saturday night prior to Carnival is the Final Pan Competition.

In terms of day activity, a drive through our Northern Range on the North Coast Road is a must. That's the way to one of the better beaches in any case so she can kill two birds with one stone.

I'm referring to Maracas Bay. It's fine for her to go alone, and leaving things on the beach for a swim is generally safe. For extra measure just ask a neighbour to keep an eye on your stuff. I've never had to do that though.

If she's big into eco, then a trip to Asa Wright Nature Centre is a MUST! Or the flight of the Scarlet Ibis at the Caroni Bird Sanctuary.
KarenS
Site Admin

Return to Trinidad & Tobago Travel Forum