Tourist Islands of
the West Indies
$12.95

New Aman Resort

Travel & news discussion about the Turks & Caicos

New Aman Resort

Postby KarenS » Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:06 am

Who's the coolest of them all?
The Turks and Caicos, favourite A-list sun spot, has a new Aman resort. Can it knock Parrot Cay off its perch, asks Susan d’Arcy

If Amanresorts decided to build in Mablethorpe, the A list would go to Mablethorpe. This is the hotel chain as cultural phenomenon, so influential that Vanity Fair coined a term for the elite travellers who worship its discreet take on designer luxury. They are “Amanjunkies”, and for years they have been crying out for a Caribbean resort with the golden prefix. Finally, it has arrived. It is called Amanyara, and it has just opened in the Turks and Caicos — at a stroke making this enclave of the British West Indies the hottest destination on the planet.

For the entire article go
<a href="http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2100-2239941,00.html">here</a>
Karen for Caribbean-On-Line.com
KarenS
Site Admin

New Arman Resort

Postby Lori » Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:09 pm

Isn't this the hotel that a was couple was beaten and robbed at in their $1000 a nt room??
Lori

Postby KarenS » Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:35 pm

Yikes! You're correct on that. I just researched the original news article. According to HOTELS Magazine:
"Five men were arrested last month and charged in the attack, according to a local press report. Among them was a hotel guard, who was accused of letting the men into the resort and facilitating their entry into the couple's room."

Apparently the couple is suing the resort and it's (somewhat) comforting to know the men were arrrested.

The entire article can be found
<a href="http://www6.lexisnexis.com/publisher/EndUser?Action=UserDisplayFullDocument&orgId=616&topicId=12552&docId=l:399139806&start=4">here</a>
Karen for Caribbean-On-Line.com
KarenS
Site Admin

Arman Resorts

Postby Lori » Mon Jun 26, 2006 1:31 pm

I wonder if this couple had medical treatment when coming home to the states. I find it scary that it's been two months and word is just getting out now.

GOD only knows what other crimes are happening on these islands that we're not hearing about.I would never expect to hear such a thing happen in Turks.
Especially in your hotel room! I guess your just not safe anywhere and you should never really let your guard down unfortunately. Sad.
Lori

TCI

Postby SL10 » Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:17 pm

They were apprehended in 48 hours. TCI is generally safe, but don't do anything you wouldn't do at home (i.e. walk at night on the beach.)
SL10

amanyara

Postby Ginger » Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:40 pm

forget it..
not even because of the crime

we were just there last month and went to aman for the day....now mind you i have been to four amans in the world including the original one in phuket.....
the people at provo amanyara are horrible! terrible service and just the worst i have ever seen not to mention that it is so far away from everything and down a dangerous road AND THE BEACH is horrible

go to grace bay ....everyone there is wonderful!!!

oh by the way ...lunch at amanyara was 60 dollars each....
we eat at PALMS all the time for under 20...so that is another factor
Ginger

Return to Turks & Caicos Travel Forum