Travel Insurance

Get a FREE no obligation quote!

Follow Us:

West Indies Maps
Tourist Islands of
the West Indies
$12.95

Is it okay to use GPS tracking device in the Caribbean

Keep up to date on the current Hurricane season or discuss the weather in general

Is it okay to use GPS tracking device in the Caribbean

Postby rotterdam » Wed May 17, 2006 4:34 am

This may seem to be a bit off topic here, yet I cannot find another proper forum to place it, so...anyway, my buddy at school told me the other day that I only need to install an off-board navigation software on my cell phone and add a Bluetooth GPS receiver, then my mobile can be used for GPS tracking and tracing, the software he named was called Nav4All, developed by an European company just recently, does anyone have more detailed information on this thing? Is it applicable while traveling in the caribbean region?
rotterdam

Postby Anthony » Wed May 17, 2006 9:33 am

Interesting question. I know GPS works in the Caribbean of course - most boats have some kind of GPS. My brother in law ran some GPS thing on his laptop in St. Thomas a couple of years ago and it spotted us within 75 yards - even drew on map on his laptop of what is basically our drive way, that isn't even on any print maps I have ever seen. As long as this "off-board navigation software" works on your phone, I don't see why the GPS system wouldn't work.
Anthony for Caribbean-On-Line
Anthony
Site Admin

Possible Solution

Postby horatio » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:54 pm

Think this site could help u...
http://www.cheramiltd.com/ they do vehicle tracking, personal tracking using GPS/GPRS tracking throughout the caribbean...
horatio

Return to Caribbean Weather & Hurricane Forum