Tourist Islands of
the West Indies
$12.95

Cell Phones

Travel & news discussion about Aruba

Moderator: daka630

Cell Phones

Postby Pat » Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:16 pm

Need help with cell phone information. From what we are reading, our cell phones will not work in Aruba. I don't know if this is the island cell phone company trying to get people to rent their phones, or if it really is true.

If this is the case, can anyone recommend a place to rent a cell phone. We will be in Aruba for 1 week, and Curacao for another week.

Thanks for your help.
Pat

cell phones

Postby daka630 » Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:50 pm

True - most cell phones used in North America do not work in Aruba. For that matter, they won't work on most of the Caribbean islands or anywhere else in the world when used with the "as is ... out of the box" setup for the majority of North American user accounts.

NOT an "island cell phone" razzle dazzle.
Has to do with the technology standards used.
Think Beta Max / VCR, 8 track / cassette, gas / diesel fuel.

Aruba's initial foray into cell phones used the standards that have been used in Europe (and most of the rest of the world). North American providers used a different standard/technology. As North American users who travel have become aware of the "isolation", if you will, that is engendered by the North American technology there has been an increased demand for the ability to use ones account when abroad.

T-Mobil appears to have been one of the first to provide "solutions" but others are following.

Regardless, the providers in North America, for the most part, do not have robust, working contracts with the Aruba telco (SETAR) for "sharing" resources.
Verizon, Cingular, etc are competitors. Customers of one can connect to customers of another but it does cost more. So "sharing" is not exactly a given here in the US or Canada let alone Aruba.

Regardless, like all islands the Aruba government has ensured that the island controlled "post, telegraph, and telephone" services. Until recently SETAR had a government supported monopoly on telephone services. This is changing.

Suggestion: call your cell provider to learn the details. Most times any of the phone service companies will be able to hook you up. Be sure to *know* what you will be charged as getting the service may not be worth the cost.

Bottom line - if it is mandatory that you have a cell phone lease/rent one from a local provider or purchase a basic SETAR cell & account. Either is very reasonable in terms of cost and provide reliable service.

About Curacao ...
Not the same governmental structure there as in Aruba. Aruba is autonomous part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands. Curaco is not. (i.e., Hawaii versus America Somoa). Curaco phone services will be run to a different "rule set". Best bet for good info is to ask at a Curaco board and to contact the island's tourism group for information.
daka630

Cell Phones

Postby Smithhookteam » Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:11 pm

Contact Charles @ www.arubafastphones.com
I used them last year, they are fast, great prices and you P/U right at the airport...
Smithhookteam

Roaming in Aruba

Postby Roamingexpert » Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:00 pm

Pat wrote:Need help with cell phone information. From what we are reading, our cell phones will not work in Aruba. I don't know if this is the island cell phone company trying to get people to rent their phones, or if it really is true.

If this is the case, can anyone recommend a place to rent a cell phone. We will be in Aruba for 1 week, and Curacao for another week.

Thanks for your help.

Hi, I'm a Wireless Roaming expert and I'm just writting a paper on International Roaming in the Caribbean. I confirm what's written below but I would not be that negative: T-mobile's, Cable & Wireless and Cingular's customers can use their phones in Aruba provided they have the right phone:
It must be a dual 1900/900 or a tri-band (1900/1800/900) GSM -or, as you call it in the US: PCS- handset. They should not be very expencive, there are also old models in commerce. Aruba is covered by a 900/1800 GSM network, in the US, GSM carriers use the 1900 frequency, furthermore there are many kind of non GSM compatible networks using the overcome technology AMPS (analogue) or TDMA . I hope, this helps. YOU CAN ROAM IN ARUBA, if you want ;)
Roamingexpert

Return to Aruba Travel Forum