Tourist Islands of
the West Indies
$12.95

PRIVATE RENTAL PRICES WAY UP

Travel & news discussion about Barbados

Moderator: Lois

PRIVATE RENTAL PRICES WAY UP

Postby Trishia » Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:38 pm

Sadly we will not be returning to Barbados next winter - we normally go for two to three months self catering in a decent apartment each year.

It is sad that the self same apartment we stayed in earlier this year (and previous years) put it's rental charges up by over 100%, and for April next year that escalates to 613% (no this is not a typo).

I have spent ages on the Internet looking for decent self catering accomodation but it appears that just so very many owners have also put their rates up too.

Those who haven't are fully booked and I am pleased for them and hope their business continues to be a success.

I guess that the price hikes are to do with the Cricket but it seems strange that most hotels have only increased their rates moderately. As have restaurants such as Tides, which we frequented fairly often, just a little extra which is certainly justifiable.

Perhaps the owners of the rental apartments who are really hiking up their prices, and without even considering updating their properties, may well find that they will be very short of booking after the Cricket season. Goodwill and repeat bookings are a very large part in making a profitable business.

Luckily we have found an idyllic cottage in the Caribbean ............ and so much cheaper but offering alot more.

Come on apartment owners - we are not all millionaires and neither do we wish to stay in an apartment furnished with a mish mash of furniture, fixtures and fittings more fitting for a very forgiving and desparate backpacker!!

Well, that's my rant over and I just hope that those to who this applies will read this and take note.

Trishia
Trishia

Return to Barbados Travel Forum