Search for

Travel Insurance

Get a FREE no obligation quote!

Follow Us:

West Indies Maps
Tourist Islands of
the West Indies
$12.95

WHERE ARE ALL THE EXPERIENCED, OLDER POSTERS????

Travel & news discussion about Barbados

Moderator: Lois

WHERE ARE ALL THE EXPERIENCED, OLDER POSTERS????

Postby Trishia » Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:18 pm

Well, although I am registered as being here since January, I have been around alot longer and notice that many "regulars" have disappeared.

This is very sad as you no longer have to register and I do so miss all your travel tips and tales.

Let's see you back and posting again - PLEASE as you gave me a wonderful insight to Barbados and some very valuable tips.

Trishia
Trishia

Postby AnnaC » Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:02 am

Trishia -
I agree. I miss hearing all the different views and suggestions by the "old" crowd.

Also, thank you for reading my May "Just got back" posting. I thought no one reads this site anymore and no one cares anymore what happens on that beautiful island.

I'd like more opinions posted, good and bad.

KarenS posts updates as to what's going on and not locally. Is she with tourism? Those of us who save and go out of our way to get to Barbados for a short while every year need to hear from others like us.

AnnaC
AnnaC

Where are all the old...

Postby PMP » Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:42 pm

Trisha & Anna, I always used to read/post on the old forum but since it changed I don't think the new one seems quite spo inviting /easy to follow! I go on to the TripAdvisor forum more now.
Still interested in reading reviews/reports regardless!!
We Love Barbados, going back again in September and cannot wait.
Penny
PMP

Postby Trishia » Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:24 am

Hi Anna and Penny

Good to see you back. Hope you had a good time in May Anna and lucky you Penny going in September.

We went for over two months at the beginning of this year and, apart from all the building, had a really brilliant time. Hired a car for the time we were out there, put a cool box with food and drinks in the back, and just stopped whenever, wherever we wanted to. Made lots more Bajan friends too.

There certainly didn't seem so much sugar cane this year and, when my husband went round the sugar factory, they told him that it costs the farmer so much to get the cane to the factory that it's more financially viable for the farmers to breed chickens or sell off plots of land for building.

This time we also went to the Sandy Lane Golf Clubhouse and it well worth paying $27 for two beers as the view was just fantastic and the ladies "powder room" is just something else! Unfortunately time ran out on us because we were going to have lunch there - good menu and not too pricey.

Fist time for us at Oistins Fish Fry too as I don't like fish but what a great atmosphere so we went back a couple more times as we enjoyed it so much.

Well, have to say as much as we love Barbados, we are off to Tobago this winter partly because we want to avoid the Cricket crowds.

Trishia
Trishia

Postby Trishia » Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:24 am

Hi Anna and Penny

Good to see you back. Hope you had a good time in May Anna and lucky you Penny going in September.

We went for over two months at the beginning of this year and, apart from all the building, had a really brilliant time. Hired a car for the time we were out there, put a cool box with food and drinks in the back, and just stopped whenever, wherever we wanted to. Made lots more Bajan friends too.

There certainly didn't seem so much sugar cane this year and, when my husband went round the sugar factory, they told him that it costs the farmer so much to get the cane to the factory that it's more financially viable for the farmers to breed chickens or sell off plots of land for building.

This time we also went to the Sandy Lane Golf Clubhouse and it well worth paying $27 for two beers as the view was just fantastic and the ladies "powder room" is just something else! Unfortunately time ran out on us because we were going to have lunch there - good menu and not too pricey.

Fist time for us at Oistins Fish Fry too as I don't like fish but what a great atmosphere so we went back a couple more times as we enjoyed it so much.

Well, have to say as much as we love Barbados, we are off to Tobago this winter partly because we want to avoid the Cricket crowds.

Trishia
Trishia

Re: WHERE ARE ALL THE EXPERIENCED, OLDER POSTERS????

Postby Suzy » Tue Jul 11, 2006 2:49 am

Trishia wrote:Well, although I am registered as being here since January, I have been around alot longer and notice that many "regulars" have disappeared.

This is very sad as you no longer have to register and I do so miss all your travel tips and tales.

Let's see you back and posting again - PLEASE as you gave me a wonderful insight to Barbados and some very valuable tips.

Trishia

Trishia, I think all the old posters are on Trip Advisor, shame really I thought this was a more interesting forum. But the TA forum is very informative and you always get a good response. Shame really!!!!!
Suzy

Not with Tourism

Postby KarenS » Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:20 am

Actually I work with Anthony at Caribbean-On-Line and have been posting news articles for *interest sake* on our forums. While I (sadly) may not be posting first-hand experiences it's our hope that these articles add (easily accessible) snippets of info for those interested in Caribbean travel. As per reader suggestion I've cut down on the length of my posted articles and include a link should the viewer find the news bit interesting. We appreciate your opinions since I'm here to make our site as informative as possible for the traveler.
Karen for Caribbean-On-Line.com
KarenS
Site Admin

Postby Nicky » Wed Jul 12, 2006 3:51 am

I don't really know what it was about the change that caused people to stop posting on here. I find myself much more active on the trip advisor site these days. It seems that people don't come on here very often to ask questions any more, so there's not a lot to respond to.

Personally I am suffering "Bajan withdrawal" sickness at the moment. We last visited in Feb/Mar and don't have another trip planned til Feb 2008 and I don't think I can wait that long, so reading about other people's trips on these forums keeps my dreams alive!!!
Nicky

Postby KarenS » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:45 am

Just out of curiosity, what is the draw to Trip Advisor? I'm just not fond of that site in general It's far too busy visually and I find it difficult to find exactly what I've specifically googled for. Maybe it's just me! :)
KarenS
Site Admin

Postby Suzy » Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:44 am

Karen, I think the trip advisor forum is so popular because some of the locals answer your question so quickly and they are so knowledgeable. It is such a lively forum with lots of information on all aspects of Barbados. A little like this used to be sadly.
Suzy

Postby KarenS » Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:55 am

I'm always surprised when there's a question asked on this forum yet no reply such as Herman who asked: *Im going to Barbados during the world cup. Whats the best place to watch it??*...surely someone has an opinion. Yes, sad no reply.

Thanks for your feedback and appreciation for this forum!
KarenS
Site Admin

Postby Trishia » Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:03 am

Hi Nicky

Take a look at Virgin sale fares for August to October.

Trishia
Trishia

Postby AnnaC » Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:06 am

The draw to trip advisor is that it is very similar to what this forum used to be and a lot of the "old gang" are posting there now. The posts are replied to very quickly and there are plenty of topics - just the way this one had. I had learned a lot in the past few years from this (Caribbean-On-Line) forum - especially before our annual visits to Barbados. Thanks for the input on "Old Posters" topic.
AnnaC

Postby Nicky » Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:40 am

I just find the trip advisor forum more active. There are lots of people on there asking for help and lots of locals on there helping to keep my knowledge of what is going on on the island up to date. I agree with karen that the format of the site isn't the best, but however beautiful a site is, its the activity on a forum that keeps people there.

Trishia>> I wish I could go Virgin to Barbados this year, but we've booked 9 days in Cyprus for September now. My problem with Barbados is that having tried Premium economy I now find it very difficult to think about going economy., and that makes it a very expensive trip ;o(
Nicky

Postby PMP » Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:08 am

Nicky - we have flown quite a few times on Virgin's PE but in September last year and September this year we "invited" two of our sons/grilfriends along, so money wasn't quite so available to upgrade! We are flying Economy, but nevertheless are still looking forward to the flight/holiday. I know what you mean though about PE and getting spoilt.
PMP

Next

Return to Barbados Travel Forum