Tourist Islands of
the West Indies
$12.95

Coral Mist/ Blue Orchard

Travel & news discussion about Barbados

Moderator: Lois

Coral Mist/ Blue Orchard

Postby Jacquie » Tue Jan 03, 2006 4:46 am

Can someone tell me what this hotel is like, is it set on a lovely beach with lush white sand? I do want to be in walking distance from all the resturants and shops so would this be a better choice than said Coconut Beach hotel? Also what is the hotel like.. any help would be great. Thanks Jac x
Jacquie

Postby Nicky » Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:37 am

Jacquie,

I haven't stayed at either hotel yet, but we're booked into Coral Mist next month. I did a lot of research beforehand and it gets excellent reviews all round. I know the area pretty well as I've been to the island 13 times. The beach there is pretty quiet by all accounts. Because it is a "dead end" at the outcrop where Blue Orchids is I don't think you get many beach traders there either.

You are within walking distance of a number of restaurants and you can also get a route taxi (minibus taxi that stops wherever you are if you put your arm out - 1.50$BDS each trip) or bus (again $1.50) from right outside the hotel into St Lawrence Gap where there are even more bars and restaurants. You could walk it, but there are no sidewalks/pavements in some places and the road is quite uneven.

You are also within walking distance of the best supermarket in the area - Big Bs - just go along the south coast road to the Shell petrol station, turn left and it is a short way up the road past the post office. The smaller supermarket opposite the petrol station is OK, but not as good.

The only downside I can see to these hotels is the fact they back onto the main road, but with all the rooms being ocean front I intend to keep my balcony door open and listen to the sound of the sea at night.
Nicky

Postby Nicky » Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:39 am

P.S. I would choose this hotel over Coconut Court because of two things - location (its closer to mopre bars and restaurants) and the fact that CC is older whereas Coral Mist/Blue Orchids are new.

Hope this helps,
Nicky
Nicky

CORAL MIST ETC

Postby GIGI BALDI » Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:45 pm

EVERYTHING NICKY SAID WAS TRUE...YOU WONT BE DISAPPOINTED ..THE UNITS AND THE BEACH ARE GREAT! I STAYED THERE TWICE BEFORE IT WAS RENOVATED (THE oLD BLYTHWOOD APTS AND IT WAS A LITTLE NOISY FROM THE STREET NOISE BUT I MUST SAY I WAS FORTUNATE ENOUGH TO HAVE BEEN INVITED TO AN ELEGANT DINNER PARTY THERE 1 1/2 YRS AGO AND I COULD NOT HEAR ANY NOISE AT ALL FROM THE STREET..JUST THE FLOODLIT WAVES FROM THE SECOND FLOOR DECK WHICH WAS SOO SOOTHING.
THE BEACH IS A GREAT WALKING BEACH FROM ONE END TO THE OTHER...OPPOSITE END IS CORAL SANDS AND SANDY BEACH HOTEL..BOUT 10-12 MIN WALK ON THE WATERSEDGE..GOOD EXERCISE AND THERE ARE SEVERAL REGULARS EVERY MORNING. HALFWAY BETWEEN THE 2 HOTELS THE SEA TURTLES OFTEN APPEAR LATE MORNING A SHORT WAYS OFF SHORE.
BUS STOP IS STEPS FROM THE FRONT OF THE BUILDING. I WILL BE RETURNING IN FEB FOR A MONTH AND WILL BE STAYING VERY CLOSE BY AT A PLACE A LITTLE MORE AFFORDABLE..BUT WOULD RATHER BE STAYING WHERE YOU WILL BE IN A HEARTBEAT! ENJOY!

GIGI
GIGI BALDI

Return to Barbados Travel Forum