the West Indies
$12.95

Back to Barbados

Travel & news discussion about Barbados

Moderator: Lois

Back to Barbados

Postby Bassman » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:14 pm

Hi to anyone still out there,
We're headed back to Barbados this Nov. 27 to Dec. 5. WE haven't been there since 2003 and are excited about the trip. We'll be staying at the Divi Southwinds but want to try beaches on the west coast. The last time we really didn't know where to access the those beaches. What land marks should we be looking for to find the road to those beaches?
Bassman

Re: Back to Barbados

Postby madmouse » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:43 pm

Hi Bassman

As far as I could establish (as I can't walk too far myself), there are no "roads" to these West Coast beaches as the West Coast comprises of wall to wall hotels. However, all the beaches are public and there [b]should be [/b]signs showing the footpaths. There's Payne's Bay and Batts Rock. Nearer to Bridgetown is Brandon Beach which is nice if you just look straight ahead to avoid the port. It has a nice eaterie called Weisers where you can rent a brolly and chairs plus shaded parking under the trees and on the beach, also full facilities. If you need to get a car nearer the beach then there was a park at Surfside (Holetown) and also at the Folkstone Marine Park, a little further on, where you could also park in the shade, rent sun beds, with full facilities. Heading towards Port Charles you could also turn left just before Speightstown and find shaded parking on the beach but not sign posted.

You only mention the West Coast which is pretty eroded - why not try the East Coast - it's fantastic and there is parking. Try Consett Bay - south from Bathsheba, a grass triangle in the road has a sign post to the satellite station (usually a couple of cows grazing) follow it down and there is a lovely shaded bay - refreshments at weekends only so take your own.

Have a great time

Mouse
madmouse

Barbados beaches

Postby Bassman » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:43 am

Thanks for the info mouse. It will be helpful. He have been to the east coast and the views are spectacular. We are looking for swimming beaches with food and drink near by.
Bassman

Re: Barbados beaches

Postby madmouse » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:44 am

Hi Bassman

We have always stayed on the West coast but it does have it's drawbacks as, on some beaches, there is a ledge of sand going into the sea. Parking near Surfside, Holetown (if you still can) will give you access to various eateries all fairly close together.

There is Mullins Bay with it's beachbar but the parking facilities are not great. Further along is Gibbes beach. We have some great photos of a West coast beach that we loved but don't know the name of it!!

You used to be able to drive down by the side of the Colony Club (where you can/could also eat)and, if finance permits, there is also Sandy Lane. I would also think that some of the hotels may let you in for lunch if you pre-booked - possibly a few e mail enquiries to the hotels?

I'm assuming you are travelling by car? It's just that parking is difficult in some places and it's probably easier to go by bus. There are little footpaths running between some hotels - some are sign posted but others seem to have "lost" their signs. Think I'm right in saying that all beaches are public right up to the high tide mark.

Quite honestly we actually liked Brandon Beach (just don't look sideways!) all facilities and Weisers good for eats and drinks. Nice sand and a good swimming place. Local use it alot after work and at the weekends.

If you get a cooler box you could always drop in at the Supercentre deli counters and pick something up for lunch later? That's something we do a lot so we don't end up in the middle of nowhere with no food.

Mouse
madmouse

Re: Barbados beaches

Postby madmouse » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:12 am

You may like to take a look at:

http://www.barbados.org/bcwest.htm
madmouse

Postby Bassman » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:11 am

Thanks Mouse. I've printed out your tips and will take them in my trip folder. We have arranged for a car from Top Class Car.
Bassman

Return to Barbados Travel Forum