Tourist Islands of
the West Indies
$12.95

Escape Hotel & Spa (Virgin Holidays)

Travel & news discussion about Barbados

Moderator: Lois

Escape Hotel & Spa (Virgin Holidays)

Postby Chelsea Girl » Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:01 pm

Can anyone give me some honest feedback on this hotel?? I will be staying here at the end of February and the reviews I am reading are so varied. Unfortunately most aren't too good. This Virgin Flagship hotel has been described as a 'dump' by one reviewer!! I have found some reviews that are not too bad but I'm confused as this is supposed to be a 4* hotel. Any information would be greatly appreciated. This is my first visit to Barbados and am so looking forward too it but am getting worried that the hotel will spoil the holiday if it's as bad as described. Many thanks!! Chelsea Girl
Chelsea Girl

Escape Hotel

Postby Suzy » Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:05 pm

Hi Chelsea girl, we visited some friends staying in this hotel in Feb last year, I thought what a dump when we pulled up there, bright yellow and bright blue fading paint. It wouldn't be a 4 star in Europe more like 3, my friends enjoyed their time there and said some reviews are true, dining could be a problem, some of the rooms were awful, they looked at 3 rooms before they accepted one. Depending on what you are expecting you apparently love it or hate it, my friend wouldn't return unless it was revamped (reading reviews looks like that is happening) but she met lots of people who return once or twice yearly. When we arrived the receptionist went out of her way to find them even had one of the other girls bring us cool drinks foc. There was a problem with the birds but that is not exclusive to Escape, this is happening in all tropical countries and something we have to accept. I'm sorry I cant help more we are going back next month but staying just further up from Escape.
Suzy

Escape Hotel

Postby Lois » Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:18 pm

I would not call this hotel a 4 star. It is a budget accommodation that is located on the West Coast across a busy road from the beach (which is lovely). If you are looking for basic, you may be satisfied.

The Blue Monkey restaurant is across the street and is a nice beach bar/restaurant.

I think Virgin provides all your meals - not sure if it's right onsite at the hotel.

Lois
Lois

Postby Chelsea Girl » Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:09 pm

Hi Suzy & Lois
Thanks for your feedback. I will be contacting Virgin and asking for their comments on the reviews. They certainly aren't charging for budget accomodation!! Really don't know what to expect but I'm comparing this hotel against The Beach Club in Antigua which was only rated as a 3.5* in the brochure but in our view warranted a higher score.
Chelsea Girl
Chelsea Girl

Postby Suzy » Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:25 am

Chelseagirl, I have stayed at the Beach Club at St James in Antigua and it is much nicer than Escape, I think it had better facilities and the food was super, we had a beach front room with mini bar stocked etc. Lois is right about the main road but it is only rooms in the adults only spa that are across the busy road, the rooms in that part are supposed to be better than the old part, but even so you have to cross this road for the beach etc. I would say that Crystal Cove was more like the Beach Club and I believe the rooms are being refurbished since our last visit 2 years ago.
Suzy

Escape Hotel & Spa

Postby PMP » Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:07 pm

Hi Chesleagirl. We have stayed at the Escape Hotel & Spa at least 7 or 8 times and have NEVER had to complain about anything. OK, some of the rooms are a bit dated, but they have everything in them that you need to make your stay enjoyable. They are also kept clean. We have always gone for a Deluxe room, as we like to have a fridge and a coast view. The food - as far as we were concerned, was always very good, with plenty of variation in the buffets and al cartes. The hotel probably is not a 4 star compared to some, but also the prices are not as expensive as some either. The location is ideal for the beach, or catching a bus either to Bridgetoen or to Holetown. The Spa rooms are allocated across the road are for 16+ only. There is also a bigger swimming pool, sauna etc on that side of the road.
We have also been to the Beach Club in Antigua. Whilst the room we had was really nice (with double sinks and fridge) the location is not ideal. You cannot just walk down the road to go to a supermarket (like to can at The Escape)- you have to get taxis every where. The rooms are located on the Atlantic side of the island, which we found VERY WINDY. You can also use a man made bay but we found this area was too hot with very little breeze, if any at all.
I hope this helps you, if we had the choice we would go to The Escape! The last time we went to The Escape was January/February 2005.
PMP

Escape Hotel & Spa

Postby PMP » Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:29 pm

Forgot to mention you can see reviews on the Escapes site - www.escapehotels.co.uk/viewers reviews
PMP

Postby Chelsea Girl » Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:11 am

Hi PMP
Thanks for the info! I've come to the conclusion that the hotel can't be that bad or people wouldn't go back and it does seem to have a lot of return visitors. I'm disappointed that I've had no feedback from Virgin as yet and can feel a letter of complaint coming on! I guess everyone has different expectations, and am really looking forward to going and will have an open mind when we arrive.
Thanks GC
Chelsea Girl

Return to Barbados Travel Forum