Tourist Islands of
the West Indies
$12.95

St Lawrence Gap- etc

Travel & news discussion about Barbados

Moderator: Lois

St Lawrence Gap- etc

Postby rumguy » Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:01 pm

Just returned from Bim after first trip there in 4 years. What a great improvement now that the Gap has been completed! i found too that Bim is generally neater so perhaps the anti- litter campaign has worked.
The surf on the west coast was quite High- couldn't snorkel at Folkestone because of it-- strangely enough the surf north of Oistins in the south coast was much calmer.
All in all - another great trip.. too bad the cruise ship passengers don't stay longer. Bim has so much to offer and to do that it is much more rewarding than the typical AI vaca.. Eating at the local resturaunt like Fishermans Pub or the Pot and Barrel or Gideons on the Maxwell Coast Road are a much more fulfilling experience that another tired buffet in an immense AI resort. There is no comparing BIM with Cuba or the DR! Does anyone else think the same as I do!
rumguy

herehere!

Postby louise » Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:20 pm

couldn't agree more. It is my paradise:).. and many others at that!
louise

Postby Nicky » Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:03 am

Hi rumguy,

When I was out there one time a couple of years ago there were a few days where the sea on the south coast was flat as a pancake and the west coast wass really rough and it felt really weird. We went to Folkestone to snorkel and found really strange currents with rolling waves coming towards the beach at all angles. There was a guy surfing there as well!

The boat trips like Jolly Roger and Harbour Master were all going out along the south coast as well which was an unusual sight.

I'm hoping it will all be OK, no weird currents or beaches being washed away when we are there in 3 weeks time because I am SO looking forward to getting back there for my 14th visit....I LOVE the place, it feels like home and I wish it was!

Nicky
Nicky

Postby nkelly » Thu Jan 26, 2006 2:43 pm

Hey rumguy!
I could not agree more. Barbados is in my top 3 choice of islands, always will be. There is just something special about it. The only thing is that there are so many places to visit :). I enjoy all the islands for different reasons. Cuba and the DR are only a hop, skip and a jump from Toronto so when those sell off prices drop to $ 800 cdn all in, it's hard to pass up. These are "filler" holidays simply to appease the mind and get me onto a beach...quick LOL!!! Happy Barbados dreamin'!!!
nkelly
nkelly

Bimshire and All Inclussives

Postby rumguy » Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:59 pm

For those who haven't been to BIm before and who try to make a comparison withe what they have done in the DR or CUba, I would say tha it it is hard to make a good comparison.. AI's don't work well in islands where there is a strong local economy and a good labour movement. I think because of BIms history they are a proud and strong nation who are willing to stand up for themselves!

Personally I like to have a nice lunch of Mac pie and flying fish (with a Banks) and pass the time of day with the owner of a local eatery than jostle for position in a buffet line... besides AIs kill the local entrepreneurs ....and just line the pockest of the offshore hotel owners... some food for thought on AIs...
rumguy

Postby nkelly » Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:36 am

Hey rumguy
There is no comparison. I have always felt that the "Spanish" islands cannot hold a candle to the islands with Brit influence. Not much room in Cuba for the entrepeneurial(sp???) spirit so travellers are very limited to the hotel and it's environs or the local tourist towns. I have to say that the Cuban people are truly warm and inviting, proud and full of music and life. That alone is a great reason to visit and the beaches in Cuba (Varadero and Cayo Largo) and the DR (Bayahibe and Punta cana) are pretty gorgeous. I will continue to visit them all!
nkelly
nkelly

Bim v. Antigua etc

Postby rumguy » Wed Feb 01, 2006 6:58 pm

Can anyone give a comparison between Bim and the other English carribbean islands? in terms of attractions/ things to do and differences? Does BIM offer more than others such as Antigua, Nevis etc.
Can anyone give some ideas?
rumguy

Postby nkelly » Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:53 pm

Hey rumguy!
I love and do prefer the British islands so this will be easy! Hands down, Antigua, Barbuda and Anguilla win in the beach category. So many beaches to see on those islands. On Antigua, a drive up to Shirley Heights (on Sunday) to enjoy the spectacular views of the Caribbean and Nelson's Dockyard below is a must. Live music and BBQ round out the experience. We toured Nelson's Dockyard and really enjoyed it! The capitol of St. John's does not compare to Bridgetown IMO. Not much to see and do there. More shopping is available in Bridgetown. Anguilla is very quiet but offers some top notch resort properties (Cap Juluca, Malliouhana, Cuisinart) that front incredible stretches of beach. No real town to speak of...this is a true beach holiday. Very friendly and gentle people and very safe IMO. If I had to choose one I would still choose Barbados. There is a true tropical feel to the island that the others just do not have. Again, I love travelling to where the Brits go, great conversation and good fun to be had. My other half is from Dublin (we are in Canada) and it's a comfort thing for him to hear the authentic accents and update on soccer LOL!
nkelly
nkelly

Postby Suzy » Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:38 pm

I think Barbados is the friendliest of the Caribbean Islands, Antigua comes second, beautiful beaches but it lacks that Bajan atmosphere somehow, Jamaica - just didn't feel safe there so didn't venture out much. Please dont knock AI's it is like deciding you dont like someone before getting to know them. The AI we have stayed in (going again this month) is owned by Bajan and there is no queing for food, on the 3 nights per week when there is a buffet the a la carte restaurant is open and the food is super. My hubby doesn't want to do the Cliff/Tides this year as he thinks the food is excellent at this AI.
I agree that this is the case in some AI's but not this one. Dreaming of getting back to paradise.
Suzy

AIs

Postby rumguy » Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:34 pm

suzy- IM not saying all AIs are bad -I,ve been to those in Cuba , Mexico and the DR..All I am saying is that they tend to make it difficult for the local businesses to do well from the tourists...
Bim is kind of unique in that it is a small island and there is lots of choice outside of hotels. Other places like Cuba and the DR are not well developed as Bim and AIs make sense there.--although staff are not paid well.
Thus i am afraid that if AIs become pervasive in Bim many great local establishments will suffer as there will be no incentive to try outside of the hotel.I don'T think Bim can or should compete in the AI market. because of the developed local infrastructure. It is a unique island that deserves to do well in the tourist arena for its uniqueness.

Excuse the pun but this is all "food for thought" on AIs.. I too can't wait to return!
rumguy

Postby Suzy » Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:58 am

Rumguy yes I'll excuse the pun, I agree with all the positive comments you have made, but I do think that there will always be a need for AI's in Barbados and the ones that are there seem to be doing well. The reason we are choosing to go back to this AI is that the staff are wonderful, they make you feel special from the manager to the gardener, excellent food, lovely beach what more could we want. We still rent a car and eat out whilst on the island, this time we are planning on doing the helicopter trip. 3 weeks to go and then I'll be walking on sacred ground!!!!
Suzy

Postby rumguy » Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:38 pm

Lucky you! I probably won't be back for a few years...
I keep a sponge from Bottom Bay on my desk to remind me of Bim as I stare into the cold grey Cdn winter from my window...!
rumguy

Postby Suzy » Sun Feb 05, 2006 1:36 pm

Dont worry rumguy it will be still as lovely when you next visit, I'll have a cool glass of Mount Gay Rum and have a toast to you when we arrive, this should lighten your day, Cheers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Suzy

Postby Nicky » Thu Feb 09, 2006 4:16 am

Hey Rumguy,

I'll be back there next Friday......soooo excited, can't wait! I will have a Banks beer, a Mount Gay rum and a cocktail for you!!!

We've decided we will go somewhere different next year (because we're not cricket fans) and I am already dreading a whole 2 years without a trip to my favourite island. Some people might call me sad, but I am sure there is some sort of Barbados Bug out there!

Nicky
Nicky

Ah that sounds good1

Postby rumguy » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:40 pm

But I would change the Mount Gay for Cockspurs 5 Star with a good splash of Frutee Lime Squash to wash down some fish cakes.

When I close my eyes I can hear the surf on Oistins bay....
rumguy

Next

Return to Barbados Travel Forum