the West Indies
$12.95

Bougainvillea and South Shore in June??

Travel & news discussion about Barbados

Moderator: Lois

Bougainvillea and South Shore in June??

Postby creek » Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:05 pm

Hi:

We're trying to figure out a few things for a possible Barbados vacation in early June '06 (8 days). We love to beach and snorkel, like ocean view rooms on upper floors, don't want all-inclusive, want a kitchenette, don't like being in the middle of a carnival atmosphere (don't need to be close to the gap, bars, etc.), but enjoy checking that kind of scene out occasionally, love good local food places, and usually rent a car...

Questions:

1) In June, is the South side of the island usually calm enough for good swimming, etc.? We'd probably do the West, but prices are too high, and most places on the beach there don't have kitchens.

2) Is the Bougainvillea a good place to stay? Does anyone recommend other places instead? Looking for a nice beach and water, without too much tourist carnival (e.g., beach hawkers, lots of motorized water-sport pitches, etc.)

3) How's the snorkeling on/around Barbados, in general?

Thanks for any and all advice/suggestions!! Very much appreciated!!
creek

Postby lu » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:02 pm

Bougainvillea sounds like it might meet your requirements.

Snorkelling is great at the Folkstone Marine Park
lu

Re: Bougainvillea and South Shore in June??

Postby Sandra » Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:58 pm

creek wrote:Hi:

We're trying to figure out a few things for a possible Barbados vacation in early June '06 (8 days). We love to beach and snorkel, like ocean view rooms on upper floors, don't want all-inclusive, want a kitchenette, don't like being in the middle of a carnival atmosphere (don't need to be close to the gap, bars, etc.), but enjoy checking that kind of scene out occasionally, love good local food places, and usually rent a car...

Questions:

1) In June, is the South side of the island usually calm enough for good swimming, etc.? We'd probably do the West, but prices are too high, and most places on the beach there don't have kitchens.

2) Is the Bougainvillea a good place to stay? Does anyone recommend other places instead? Looking for a nice beach and water, without too much tourist carnival (e.g., beach hawkers, lots of motorized water-sport pitches, etc.)

3) How's the snorkeling on/around Barbados, in general?

Thanks for any and all advice/suggestions!! Very much appreciated!!

Coral Sands hotel in Worthing on the south coast has large, extremely clean rooms with kitchens (full size refrigerator, microwave, stovetop burners, crockery). All rooms have private balconies with ocean views and these are lovely at sunset. The hotel has a small restaurant and it is very close to two supermarkets, a pharmacy, petrol station, and many restaurants including those in St Lawrence Gap. The building is set back from the coast road so it has a quiet, relaxing ambience. The staff are pleasant and professional. The boat Scotch'n'Soda is moored nearby from which one can take snorkeling and scuba diving trips to Carlisle Bay or elsewhere. Worthing beach always seems calm, and although the hotel does not provide beach chairs they can be rented for a nominal charge. The hotel website is www.coralsandsresort.com
Sandra

where to stay

Postby sunshine » Sun Feb 26, 2006 3:11 pm

Just wrote you a very detailed account of two different beach areas and when I hit preview I then went to correct a spelling and, don't ask me what happened BUT I lost the whole thing.... very frustrating.... here now is the short form.......
I would not stay at Bougainvillea area again unless someone can tell me the house/shack where they sell the drugs (one minute from this hotel and right on beach ) is GONE. The locals in that house were scary and pushy...so much security called cops. We were told many turn a blind eye as they are pocketing some of the profit too!!!! It was very bad 4 yrs ago... I am also interested in hearing if it is still there..

Last yr stayed at Worthing Beach and the difference was like being on a different island... quite..NOONE, not once bothered us, nor did we see them...even went to beach alone as husband was on business...I would NOT do this at the other beach area. Post office, large and small grocery store was within 5 min walk, gas station and shopping.There was a chinese restaurant either way when we walk out the from of the building. I think a restaurant called the Horseshoe Saloon (something like that) was close by, with steak,chicken etc and it had a few slot machines. We walked to Gap in 30 mins. Hope this helps.
sunshine

Postby rumguy » Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:49 pm

The Sea Breeze hotel is on the Maxwell Coast Road like the Bougainvillea but it does not share the same beach. I was there in January and was never bothered by druggies. It is about a 10-15 minute walk to Oistins for groceries etc.
rumguy

Return to Barbados Travel Forum