Tourist Islands of
the West Indies
$12.95

Crop over & casuarina

Travel & news discussion about Barbados

Moderator: Lois

Crop over & casuarina

Postby Odette » Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:09 am

My friends and I are thinking of going back to Barbados in 2007 for Cropover. We keep hearing about it but we don't know anyone who's been. Would love to hear experiences of anyone who has been to crop over. Is it like our carnival? How long does it go on for?

Also, does anyone know what's happended to the folks who worked on the beach at Casuarina - the guy with the jet skis, the guy looking after chairs, the older man selling fabrics and an older lady selling jewelry?

Thanks
Odette

Crop Over

Postby danielle » Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:34 am

My husband is Bajan and I have been to Crop over twice! I think everyone should go at least 1 time in there life to experience crop over it's the best! It is like Trinidad's Carnival but smaller and better Soca music in my opinion. (more bass which I prefer to Trinidad's trumpit's) It is 5 weeks long starts in mid July till begining of August. (i'm not sure of the dates check www.barbados.org closer to the time) It's a celebration of the end of the sugar cane harvest. There are many venders that have stalls selling food, drink and crafts at Bridgetown market.Cohobblopot is when band members show their costumes. Kiddies Kadooment for children (their parade)Party Monarch,Road March and Pic-O -de-Crop is when they compete for the titles and prizes and finally Grand Kadooment is when reverlers "wuk up" to wonderful soca music, food and rum, stating at the National stadium to Spring Garden.Hope this helps, crop over is the major festival on the island and everyone goes "home" for crop over, it should be easy for you to get more info if you want.
danielle

Return to Barbados Travel Forum