Tourist Islands of
the West Indies
$12.95

Don't read this emperance Union !

Travel & news discussion about Barbados

Moderator: Lois

Don't read this emperance Union !

Postby rumguy » Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:57 pm

OK - its time we had the ultimate caribbean question and start the debate- What is the best rum and what qualifies as bilge? Why?

I know its all a matter of taste but it is easy to detect a quality product or one that isn't..
Yes Bim is the home of rum.

I had my first taste of Mount Gay about 25 years ago. Didn't touch a drop of it until 2001. When I first opened that bottle i swear I could hear the palms in the wind and feel the sunshine on my deprived (depraved?) brow! But after much reflective and earnest experimentation I now prefer Cockspur- OLD GOLD. I can sit on my deck amongst the snowbank and dream......At least IM facing south..

Rum from Cuba is generally touristo bilge except for the odd decent anejo and DR rum is about the same. Goslings is Ok although not technically from the Caribbean.

Frothy hotel conconctions with umbrellas in them just don't cut it- now do they?--
What say you all?
Cheers
Cheers!
rumguy

I slurred...whoops

Postby rumguy » Mon Feb 27, 2006 8:59 pm

The Temperance Union should not read this either
rumguy

Best Rum

Postby Bassman » Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:43 pm

I am a bit confused by your comments about Mount Gay rum. But, after sampling rums from many islands and Panama, My favorite is Mount Gay Extra Old. Very smooth with a hint of vanilla. I admit that I haven't tried the Cockspur Old Gold(?)so I can't compare. For bad rums, I've found that Jamaican rums have a funny (unpleasant) after taste. This includes Appleton and Meyers.
For mixing in drinks I prefer Mount Gay Eclipse.
Gosling's is a little sweet. Maybe a some molassas added.

Bassman
Bassman

which rum is the best

Postby Dena » Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:46 pm

well i have to say that has much has I love Barbados and try to go there at least 4 times a year the best rum in the world is Wray & Nephews overproof white rum from Jamacia
Dena

Postby rumguy » Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:42 pm

Not a bad choice at all!
If I could get to BIM 4 times a year I'd be willing to make the sacrifice and do the necessary resarch to validate your findings! :)
rumguy

Return to Barbados Travel Forum