Tourist Islands of
the West Indies
$12.95

Trip Notes

Travel & news discussion about Barbados

Moderator: Lois

Trip Notes

Postby peterp » Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:00 pm

Just returned from 8 days on the island and here some updates for you.

For the 9th time, stayed at Southern Palms...obviously we enjoy it. Staff are friendly, location is good (right in the Gap), close to restaurants and right on the beach. They are doing a lot of upgrading around the property.

Rented a car for a couple of days...driving on the island is exciting to say the least (I'm from Canada...need I say more). Very few road signs that are legible and the east coast especially is not easy to work your way around I found. Went to The Crane...they tried to charge us $25 to walk around...we found public access to the beach about 100 yards further down the road which worked out just as well. Also hit Bathsheba which is quite breathtaking...make sure you go to the Round House Inn for lunch at least.

Restaurants in the Gap we tried were Luigi's (around by Casuarina...which by the way is completely shut and little activity), Harlequin which is good and Reastaurant at Southsea which is top notch. Things seemed a bit more expensive than last year but not overly so.

Weather right now seems great...about a 5 minute shower on one day and that was it...apparently january and February were not quite so good. Even the sea was fairly calm most days.

If anyone wants more detail, please feel free to send me a note or post a question.
peterp

southern palms

Postby andrewp » Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:36 am

Peter
I have booked up for Southern palms for the cricket world cup next April. What changes are they making to the property?
andrewp

trip notes

Postby peterp » Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:24 am

They have invested a huge amount in resurfacing the decks around the pools and the various walkways with kind of a rubberized decking material...non-slip and much more attractive than the usual concrete, and not as hot on the feet. They also seem to have done some painting around the property to spruce things up a bit, new hair dryers and things in the room. I think you will enjoy it there.
peterp

Re: Trip Notes

Postby houtravelchick » Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:38 pm

Thanks for the information.

I'll be vacationing in Barbados in mid-May. I have 3 nights at the Hilton Barbados (St. Michaels)

However, I will need to spend 3 more nights in Barbados. What is your review of the following hotels and tour companies, please:

Hotels
Blue Horizon
Pirates Inn
Time Out At the Gap
Divi

Tour Companies
Island Safari
Glory Tours
LE Williams Tour Company
Bajan Tours

Thank you,
Houtravelchick