Tourist Islands of
the West Indies
$12.95

CAYMANS OR OTHER ISLANDS???

Travel & news discussion about the Cayman Islands

Moderator: Skip

CAYMANS OR OTHER ISLANDS???

Postby JDH » Fri May 12, 2006 12:07 pm

Family of 3 going to St. John this year....already planning for either Grand Cayman, Aruba or Provo (T&K)for next April.......I know that the Caymans and the Turks and Caicos have outstanding sand, reefs and snorkeling. We will be staying in a rental villa on St. John and doing a combo of the beaches and hiking trails along with some boating and occasional restaurants/shopping, but in general, rather quiet and not a lot of crowds or night life.
For a slightly different experience next year we want to head to a place that has good shopping and choices of activities as well as natural beauty, even if its only half the island that isn't overrun with the big hotels. Has anyone been to all 3 or 2 of these islands??? Any insights as to a selection? My wife likes laying in the sun and shopping and my son and I like boating and snorkeling. Thanks in advance for your response.
JDH

Cayman or other island?

Postby shawn » Tue May 16, 2006 7:54 pm

I don't know about the other islands, but you won't be disappointed if you choose Grand Cayman. We've been a couple times and are excited to be returning next year!!! The snorkeling is SUPERIOR, and as for relaxing??? Well, beautiful beaches + wonderful Cayman people = a fantatic time. There's a great Botanical Garden on the east end that's a must do! As for shopping, we were so consumed with the beaches, island beauty, and snorkeling, we didn't spend much time inside. We did find a unique store that specialized in BEAUTIFUL "hand crafted items" from the Islands. GREAT STUFF!!!
Hope this helped, Shawn
shawn

Postby kls » Mon May 29, 2006 8:03 pm

My family has been to all the islands that you listed with the exception of st john. In order to give you a fair opinion, I must say that we have been to Grand Cayman over 10 times and we have only been to T&C and Aruba once.

T&C is very laid back with beautiful beaches. This island is the least developed so I would say it would have the least shopping and least to do.

Grand Cayman is our favorite of the three for lots of reasons. However, I would say it is more laid back than Aruba.

I think Aruba is what you may be looking for when you say youre looking for something different. There are more nightlife options in Aruba. It is not as laid back as the other two. I hope this helped.
kls

Return to Cayman Islands Travel Forum