Tourist Islands of
the West Indies
$12.95

Stingray City Hurtin'

Travel & news discussion about the Cayman Islands

Moderator: Skip

Stingray City Hurtin'

Postby KarenS » Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:30 am

CAYMAN ISLANDS (8 Oct 2006) -- Remember when Stingray City in the Cayman Islands was the world's most overpopulated, eco-unfriendly and boring dive site?

Well now you can add the "world's most dangerous dive site" thanks to TV entertainer Steve Irwin's grand finale.

Crocodile wrestler Irwin died on September 4 fooling around with a stingray while scuba diving at the Great Barrier Reef.

Since then, tourist bookings have declined by 60 to 100 percent at the controversial Cayman Islands "interactive" feeding site where one young American teenage tourist nearly lost his arm in May 2005.

For the full article go <a href="http://www.cdnn.info/news/travel/t061008.html">here.</a>

Comments??
Karen for Caribbean-On-Line.com
KarenS
Site Admin

Postby dianenarz2 » Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:11 pm

I'm really surprised at the article. For one thing, the rays in Cayman are not at all the same rays that are found in Australia. For people to be afraid of them, that's really an unfounded fear. I'm sure it's not an eco-friendly site as mentioned - anything at all that disrupts the animals natural habitat is eco-unfriendly. Even feeding fish so you can see them when you snorkel, is not a good thing. I'm sure this perception will change as time passes.
dianenarz2

Postby filter14 » Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:38 am

I wonder how much the latest incident will affect things. This time it supposedly was an unprovoked stingray who jumped/flopped into a boat and stung a man in the heart. I don't think it can be discounted as easily as it was with Steve Irwin as a person that took too many risks.

Prayers the gentleman pulls through.
filter14

Return to Cayman Islands Travel Forum