Tourist Islands of
the West Indies
$12.95

Breadfruit in Cayman

Travel & news discussion about the Cayman Islands

Moderator: Skip

Breadfruit in Cayman

Postby KarenS » Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:14 am

Last week a friend stopped me, anxious to share a “family breadfruit recipe” —not from her mom or Grandma, but her 4 - year old son. While playing in the yard with friends, a very ripe breadfruit fell close by, delighting the aspiring young chef. “This is what you make bread from,” he told his playmates as he picked up the fallen fruit, “and I’m going to show you how.” His fascinated mom watched as her little boy pulled the soft peel apart, scooped out the pulp with his hands and proceeded to mash it with dirt and shape into a little round “loaf.” Mom intervened before they tried to taste their creation.

That story leads me to a tidbit of breadfruit history which answers the question of how Artocarpus altilis, a tree native to Malaysia, got its English name. Contrary to what some ill-informed cookbooks claim, it’s not because of its flavor. Breadfruit neither looks nor tastes like bread. Even in the delusional tropics, believing that myth leaves stretch marks on the imagination. Yukon Gold potatoes perhaps, but not bread.

For the full article go <a href="http://www.caymannetnews.com/news-821--6-6--.html">here.</a>
Karen for Caribbean-On-Line.com
KarenS
Site Admin

Return to Cayman Islands Travel Forum