Search for

Travel Insurance

Get a FREE no obligation quote!

Follow Us:

West Indies Maps
Tourist Islands of
the West Indies
$12.95

First time to Tortola and JVD...questions...

Travel & news discussion about the British Virgin Islands

First time to Tortola and JVD...questions...

Postby beth1531 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:58 pm

After a few weeks of deliberation we have decided to split our July trip with 3 nights in CGB followed by 5 nights in JVD and I had a few more questions...
Regarding travel, we will be coming from Philadelphia and were wondering whether we should be looking into flying to St. Thomas and ferrying to West End or flying to San Juan and connecting with American Eagle or Caribbean Sun for the flight to Beef Island. Does anyone have any advice on which is a better method of travel and why? Also, while on JVD, we will be staying in Great Harbor and we're concerned about transportation to and from White Bay during the day. Are there taxi's readily available during low season? (We will be there in July). I also read on another site that taxis from GH to White Bay usually run around $10 per person per way. Is this accurate? $20 per way for a five minute trip seems really expensive and I envision myself making a few trips back and forth each day. Is there anywhere to rent a car on JVD, and what is the approxzimate cost per day for this? We're trying to work out our budget so that we can ensure that we have enough cash for the week...One more thing, Our first day in CGB there are 2 cruise ships in port. We are really hoping to avoid the hordes of people from the ships. Does Smuggler's Cove get crowded when cruisers are in? Does White Bay also get crowded on Cruise ship days? Thanks for the help!
beth1531

JVD

Postby Jim » Fri Apr 21, 2006 1:06 pm

I am exhausted reading the question.

It is often a push on STT or EIS. The huge variable is when you can get to STT the last ferry is about 5pm.

Smugglers doesn't get crowded on cruise days.

There are pleanty of cabs on JVD, it is a 20 minute walk over the hill. There are about 2 rental cars on the island. I can't remember who runs them. Cab fare used to $5, but with cash prices it is probably more now.

White Bay does not get Tortola cruise traffic, but Seaborne, Sea Cloud II, Wind Spirit and Club Med II all anchor off there occasionally. Plus you get a decent day sail crowd from STT.
Jim

Cruise Ship Schedules

Postby Adrienne » Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:59 am

Hi Beth - I read your post about traveling in July - I will be in Tortola the last week in June and am wondering where to find the cruise ship schedules so that I can plan my beach going accordingly since I will be staying atop CGB.

Thanks.
Adrienne

Re: Cruise Ship Schedules

Postby beth1531 » Tue May 02, 2006 9:35 pm

Adrienne wrote:Hi Beth - I read your post about traveling in July - I will be in Tortola the last week in June and am wondering where to find the cruise ship schedules so that I can plan my beach going accordingly since I will be staying atop CGB.

Thanks.

Check out Traveltalkonline.com. they have a full cruise ship schedule on there. From what I've read, I wouldn't want to be anywhere near CGB when cruise ships are in...
beth1531

Stuff

Postby thebeadguy » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:22 pm

As the previous posted indicated, go to travel talk on line, the BVI forum is very active there and there is an area to check the cruise ship dates. CGB is hoas when a ship is in town, I would go down the road to Apple Bay, Long Bay or Smugglers Cove.

JVD is great, we spent 4 nights on Tortoal and 3 on JVD , we should have done the opposite. The taxi rate is correct $10/pp each way to go over the huge hill from the ferry docks to White Bay. Unless you enjoy hiking in sunny, hot, humid conditions, I would take the taxi.

White Bay tends to get crowded on weekends due to day trippers, organized chaos, or as I like to refer to it "the circus is in town". Beautiful beach and water.

check out our photos http://community.webshots.com/user/kagjjg
thebeadguy

PS

Postby thebeadguy » Tue Jul 25, 2006 12:25 pm

Also, I find Cape Air out of San Juan the best. We got to the Liat ticket Counter and were told no flights today AND no refund. Hoofed it down to Cape Air and were on a plan in an hour.
thebeadguy

Return to British Virgin Islands Travel Forum