West Indies Maps
Tourist Islands of
the West Indies
$12.95

Surfing Tortola

Travel & news discussion about the British Virgin Islands

Surfing Tortola

Postby KarenS » Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:52 pm

My son is 16 and interested in surfing on the north west side of Tortola (I can't recall which beach/bay). How difficult would it be for him to take a ferry from St Thomas to Tortola and lug his surfboard to a desired surfing destination?
Karen for Caribbean-On-Line.com
KarenS
Site Admin

Surfing Tortola

Postby Jim » Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:03 pm

The surf isn't always up. You didn't say if you are living on STT or going to holiday. If you are living there, you will find good surfing days throughout the Winter. Your son will have to take a cab to the surfing beaches, Apple Bay, Carpoons Bay or Josiah's Bay.

Jim
Jim

re: surfing Tortola

Postby KarenS » Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:38 pm

Thanks! We're stuck in the frigid northeast at the moment but my son has wordly plans (and we have friends in STT). Caribbean blue is my driving force!
Karen for Caribbean-On-Line.com
KarenS
Site Admin

Surfing in Tortola

Postby jbdils » Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:48 am

I am planning on staying at Long Bay from April 2 - April 9. I am an experienced and well-traveled surfer, but am making this trip to spend some quality time with my wife. It is not a "surf trip" per se. Is it worth it for me to bring a board with me (I would probably bring my fish) in the hopes that the surf will come up while I am there, or is the surf generally so inconsistent during this time of year, that I should rely on finding a board while there if the surf comes up? And, if I decide not to bring a board, how hard will it be to find one if the waves do come up?
jbdils

Postby Anthony » Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:17 am

I am not a surfer but I think you could find a board - check these guys out http://www.go-hiho.com/
They have a shop in Road Town
Anthony for Caribbean-On-Line
Anthony
Site Admin

Return to British Virgin Islands Travel Forum