West Indies Maps
Tourist Islands of
the West Indies
$12.95

Snorkeling recommendations Tortola

Travel & news discussion about the British Virgin Islands

Snorkeling recommendations Tortola

Postby beachlvr62 » Sun Feb 26, 2006 8:05 am

We will be visiting Tortola for 8 days in May. We are both experienced snorkeler's and are looking for the best spots on both Tortola and either Jost or other areas. We much prefer to venture out on our own and not partake of tours or group ventures if possible. Any info you could supply will help make our trip memorable I am sure!! Looking forward to any help....
beachlvr62

snorkel trip

Postby Jim » Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:46 am

Not cheap, but you can hire UBS Dive center to take you out snorkeling for a private trip. www.scubabvi.com cost would probably be about $350/day.
Jim

Postby JeffroATL » Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:10 pm

The best spots I've found so far on Tortola are:

Smuggler's Cove - It's a very shallow snorkel but has a nice schoole of Blues.

Brewer's Bay - Nice snorkel to the left of the beach. It's a little deeper (10-20) feet. The best spots were along the shore out towards the point.

Those are the only two snorkels worth mentioning that I've found on Tortola. There are some other really good ones close-by. The baths at Virgin Gorda (accessibly by ferry and taxi) - and the Caves at Norman Island were interesting (accessible by charter boat).

You can view my old trip report that has some decent information about the area.

http://www.jeffharper.com/BVIhoneymoon/

Hope you have a good trip!
JeffroATL

Return to British Virgin Islands Travel Forum