Tourist Islands of
the West Indies
$12.95

Sea Lice

Travel & news discussion about Cuba

Moderator: Bigjohn

Sea Lice

Postby ONZGO » Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:13 pm

Do I have to worry about Sea Lice if I visit Varadero area in either April or May?

Thanks.
ONZGO

Postby nkelly » Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:25 pm

And, can anyone tell me exactly what sea lice are?
Thanks,
nkelly
nkelly

Postby DebInThePeg » Mon Mar 20, 2006 6:10 pm

Fast Facts - from a Florida site - could see them in Caribbean in general
• Origin: Probably microscopic juvenile jellyfish.
• Season: March to August.
• Range: Mostly in Palm Beach County, where the Gulf Stream is closest to shore.
• Clothing: Organisms cling to swim wear. As clothing rubs against them, they become irritated and sting.
• Effects: Skin irritation, redness and welts usually appear several hours after attack. Pain and irritation can last two days to two weeks, sometimes accompanied by fever and nausea.

Prevention Tips
• The only real prevention is to not go into the ocean when there is a sea lice warning posted.
• Certain topical sunscreens may prevent sea lice attacks. Hydrocortisone cream and oral antihistamines, such as Benadryl, help to relieve the itching. There also are products sold at supermarkets and drugstores specifically for treating sea lice stings.
• Wear smaller swimsuits. They offer fewer places for the sea lice to become trapped and sting in self-defense.
DebInThePeg

Postby YVR » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:55 am

...and always use the freshwater beach shower immediately after you come out of the ocean. Pay special attention to rinsing your skin and the inside of your bathing suit.
YVR

Return to Cuba Travel Forum