Tourist Islands of
the West Indies
$12.95

New to Cuba

Travel & news discussion about Cuba

Moderator: Bigjohn

New to Cuba

Postby ONZGO » Sun Mar 19, 2006 4:41 pm

We have never been to Cuba before and want to go to Varadero.

Can anyone recommend a good resort, with good food for Cuba standards and a nice beach and walking distance to town?

We also want to see Havana, so any suggestions you have would be appreciated.

Thanks.
ONZGO

Postby Elizabeth » Sun Mar 19, 2006 5:19 pm

Try Barcelo Soylmar, we were very pleased with it and it is within walking distance to town. take one of the yellow three wheel cabs that run up and down the highway, they are a lot of fun and cheap. There is also a double decker bus that runs all day that you can get on and off for a small charge. There is a park that looks like it is gated off but it is worth going through. We rode bikes from the resort all through it, its about half way to the market on the left side of the street. You should also take the bus to the Dupont Estate, it is worth seeing. We took the Havana trip. Unfortunately we didn't have the best guide so it was a bit of a disappointment. I wouldn't do it again. Alot of people rave about it.
I love Cuba, Enjoy
Elizabeth
Elizabeth

New to Cuba

Postby la espanola » Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:58 pm

Hi there

I'm still raving about Iberostar Bella Costa in varadero. We came back 2 weeks ago and we're still pining to go back! We were extremely impressed by the food in particular, as we didn't expect much from previous reviews of the place. In general we were told by our stewardess to stick to the fish, which we did, and boy they have good fish and seafood over there!

We found the hotel (all inclusive) extremely comfortable and the hotel staff super helpful: we lost the key to our safe and they got the resident electrician to open it for us at 9.00 night!

Not to mention the animation team who have something for everyone almost every minute of the day! I believe they organise trips as well as other activities. There is also a ?Cubanacan desk for booking trips. I'm sure there's one to Havana, which is well worth visiting. We were there for 3 days: there is plenty to see and felt very safe walking about.

We liked this hotel so much, we have already decided to be back next year, and we've never returned to the same spot in our 10 years of world-wide holidays!

Hope you enjoy your holiday. If you do choose bella costa let us know how you got on
best wishes
Ana
la espanola

Return to Cuba Travel Forum