Tourist Islands of
the West Indies
$12.95

Please come back!

Travel & news discussion about Cuba

Moderator: Bigjohn

Please come back!

Postby sunshine » Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:31 pm

Could it be that the participants who viewed the new forum when it begun did not hang round enough to get comfortable and just left?

Has anyone noticed - since Tue 28th there has only been 4 posts and 6 replys!

I have not been near a computer to check forum in in 3 days and was so looking forward to comments, questions, information and I am disappointed...

I won't be able to go south unfortunately this year but out of all the forums the old Cuba one seemed to me to be the most active. I do not mind this new one but miss the action.

If YOU are going to Cuba, have a great safe trip and please tell us all about it and I will try not to get jealous..

Adios Amigos/Amigas
sunshine

Postby Elizabeth » Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:08 pm

I used these forums, the old style, for sometime and really enjoyed the action on them. But lately they have been really slow, Cuba Dominican and Cancun, so I've switched to trip advisor forums and they are hopping. I wish these foprums would pick up and the old regulars would become active again because they really are invaluable when working right.
Elizabeth

reply to Elizabeth

Postby sunshine » Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:45 pm

Sorry but still learning how to use this forum. I had posted a ?... 'where is everyone'. Elizabeth made some comments and I want to reply to her. I hit reply then had to sign in.... so now I am not sure if this message will end up as a new post (even though I hit reply).... oh well...lets see what happens and if it looks out of place and not AFTER Elizabeths comment, forgive me... better luck next time....

Eliz.. I will try the other forum, but somehow this was my fav. as it was the first one I tried 3 yrs ago and I will persevere and keep checking in now and then and will give assistance if I am able to also.
sunshine

Postby cmbutcher » Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:56 pm

I had used this site 4 years ago when preparing for our first trip to Cuba, now we're heading back and this forum just isn't the same as it was. Even the reviews section doesn't seem as active.

But I will still post my review here when we come back from Blau Colonial, Cayo Coco (going Apr 15-22) - hopefully it will helpful to someone.

CB
cmbutcher

Postby Elizabeth » Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:43 am

Sunshine I got your message, maybe if we try to keep posting others will start to pick-up again. nkelly,YVR, Gordon etc. where are you?
Elizabeth

Postby YVR » Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:26 pm

I'm here and I do check this forum regularly to see if there are questions I am able to answer, but my volunteer time is limited and unlike some posters, I'm not here on the boss' dime. I also like to give Cubalover the opportunity to respond before I do! LOL!!

Personally, quality is more important to me than quantity, so the fact that this forum is slow and in a rebuilding process doesn't bother me. I don't post at tripadvisor but do occasionally read the threads. Much of what I read there is not worth the time or space it takes up. Reminds me of what this forum was like before the mandatory registration and format changes.
YVR

YVR (aka Yes Very Rude)

Postby CubaLover » Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:45 pm

What was that nasty remark for??? I don't respond to anyone, any more, and haven't for eons. I occasionaly browse, but even that is a turnoff with this format.

Please explain your latest snotty remark.

It doesn't lessen the rudeness by adding LOL at the end of a vicious comment.

BIgJohn...it would be nice if you deleted this latest attack from YVR!!!
CubaLover

Postby YVR » Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:36 pm

On March 2, 2006 at 6:38am Cubalover wrote:

"YVR appears to be the only one on here, running up and down the forum answering everyone's questions."

So Cubalover, I'm simply giving you the opportunity to respond to any and all questions which may appear in the forum before I "run up and down the forum answering everyone's questions".

I also understand that many are not enamoured with this new format, but I fail to comprehend why anyone who feels so negatively would continue to participate in something they don't like. Oh, and BTW, you did respond to my post Cubalover so your statement claiming not to respond to anyone, anymore is incorrect. I'm looking forward to continued positive contributions from you.
YVR

Postby CubaLover » Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:52 am

I responded to your latest attack, because you were rude for no reason.

The comment about "running up and down" was not an attack on you,just a statement that you seemed to be the ONLY person answering all the questions. Aren't we sensitive???!!!!!

Sure glad I don't have to work with the likes of you. Bet you're a joy in the office.
CubaLover

Postby Rachel » Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:48 pm

Wow...what a lot of hostility. The better part of me knows not to jump in the fray, but I just can't resist. I am just curious. Do people miss the old forum because they lament the loss of the easy-to-read at a glance threads, or do they miss the acrimony? Is it possible, without naming any names, of course, that some of the most disgruntled with this new format simply miss the acrimony, and could care less about contributing to posts based on their "love" of "Cuba"??? Hmmmm.....
Rachel

Postby luvthesun » Sun Apr 09, 2006 5:06 pm

I still check the forum on a regular basis,but this year we went to DR instead So obviously I was on that board more.Probably next year we'll head back to Cuba so I'll still be around.
luvthesun

Lets not get nasty, please

Postby sunshine » Sun Apr 09, 2006 10:07 pm

I am kind of sorry I started this thread as it really is distrubing when participants get hostile, so to answer Rachels question.......NO, I PERSONALLY DO NOT LIKE WHEN THIS HAPPENS.

YVR, when the person said you were running up and down, I actually thought they said it as a compliment (that you were working hard trying to give the answers.) Individual perception is quite interesting.
I don't want to pick a fight with anyone BUT perhaps is is not a good idea to test the waters with comments like - being on this board while on the Boss' time. We don't know that, maybe you do. I know I would NEVER go on here when I am in the office. I never even thought that others do and if so it is not my business. Enough said... guys please lets talk about LOVELY CUBA.... like I said I am not able to go south this yr. and it is still great being there through all of you so CAN WE HEAR FROM SOME OF YOU WHO HAVE BEEN.... A SHORT REVIEW OVERALL IN THE FORUM and a longer one if you wish in the HOTEL reveiws.
I hold a white flag,PEACE!
sunshine

Postby Elizabeth » Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:26 am

I miss the easy to read threads, I just found them more helpful because you could skip right to the new ones.
Elizabeth

Postby YVR » Tue Apr 11, 2006 12:40 pm

I agree with Elizabeth in that I too miss the easy to read threads of the old forum. It made responding directly to someone's comment easier and it was faster. Alas, what's gone is gone and considering that Anthony provides this forum at no charge to us, I personally decided to get used to the new format. Rachel's comment " that some of the most disgruntled with this new format simply miss the acrimony, and could care less about contributing to posts based on their "love" of "Cuba"?" probably has some validity. The option of running their own Cuba forum in a different format is open to anyone who wishes to start one up.

Sunshine:- In response to your post and my comment about the "Bosses time" and how I know. I keep our vacation photos in locked albums at Webshots and give access to posters who ask directly to view them. I took the time to analyse the stats I get from Webshots. I found it enlightening that 63% of the inquiries came from business email addresses and are time stamped during normal office hours. I'm happy to hear that you never come to travel forums during work hours. Many employers track internet use by their employees or block any non-business related use on company computers. Many employees are unaware of this tracking. More recently, I've heard that some people have actually been fired from their jobs because they spend too many work hours on the internet. Travel forums can be addictive! Maybe there should be a warning to this effect posted in red letters at the top of the page. LOL!!!

Technically, I guess I am indeed spending time in the forum on the "bosses dime". I'm self-employed so I am the boss! The time I chose to spend answering questions about our beloved Cuba, is time I volunteer and I use equipment which I have paid for myself. I have to earn it before I can spend it! Comments from CubaLover like "Sure glad I don't have to work with the likes of you. Bet you're a joy in the office." don't apply in my case. I'm more than happy to add my white flag to yours. I come here to talk about travel to Cuba and to learn from the first-hand travel experiences of others.
YVR

Return to Cuba Travel Forum