$12.95

Check out the Statue of El Guayabero

Travel & news discussion about Cuba

Moderator: Bigjohn

Check out the Statue of El Guayabero

Postby KarenS » Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:31 am

Statue of El Guayabero Unveiled in Holguin, Cuba
By Maribel Flamand / 07-06-06
If it is about human beings, many don't believe in immortality. But Faustino Oramas Osorio, our Minstrel, achieved that quality on June 4, when, to celebrate his 95th. birthday, a statue was unveiled in his honor at the Provincial Centre of Music and Show-Biz in Holguin (CPM), an institution that is named after him.

Gabriel Maslotikhass was in charge of the design and decoration of the area where the life and musical legacy of El Guayabero are to be remembered. Argelio José Cobiellas is the creator of the figure in cement and steel, 1,83 cms high, so close to reality that anyone who walks in would think he is meeting the author of so many jokes and melodies.

Cobiellas says that it was not difficult at all to reproduce the image of such a well-known and admired person. "We were already familiar with the personality of Faustino, with his way of dressing, of walking. I have known him since I was a child and one of my dreams was to dedicate one of my works to him," the young sculptor stated, and he also admits: "… it is the first time that I have made a sculpture of a person who is still alive."

Victor Rodriguez, director of the Music Centre, who suggested the idea to continue immortalizing the work of the ‘King of double meaning’ for his importance, hopes that now they would also dedicate a statue to Manuel de Jesus Leyva (Coco).

The musicologist Ana Luisa Tamayo added: "This is one of the many ways of perpetuating the work of a man whose music represents the Cuban traditions, humour, double meanings, and dance music.

"Before your eyes stands the cultural legacy that encompasses the artistry of El Guayabero, a man that represents Cuban folklore with his music, with the ‘son’ and ‘guaracha’ seasoned with double meanings; A man that unifies the basic trovador element of the guitar and lyrics, also with the underlying resource of dance music;

The minstrel who keeps alive the root force of our old sung dances of the nineteenth century, in the style of the ‘caringa’, the ‘papalote’ and others."
Karen for Caribbean-On-Line.com
KarenS
Site Admin

Return to Cuba Travel Forum