Search for

Travel Insurance

Get a FREE no obligation quote!

Follow Us:

West Indies Maps
Tourist Islands of
the West Indies
$12.95

Upcoming Cuba Trip- Bringing back cigars to USA?

Travel & news discussion about Cuba

Moderator: Bigjohn

Upcoming Cuba Trip- Bringing back cigars to USA?

Postby Alexis06 » Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:52 pm

After months of looking foward to this trip, it has finally arrived. I am traveling to cuba on November 21st to participate in Earthwatch's Crocodiles of Cuba. This means that I am an American leagally traveling to Cuba- and the US government is well aware that I will be there. (I am flying to Havana via Miami).

So, would it be very ill advised to even try to bring cigars back with me? I read an OFAC site,stating that the US threatens a heafty fine if caught. But, since I am just a 'little, innocent, 17 yr old girl, bring back some cigars for my daddy' would I still be severely punished? I'm not worried about the cigars being confiscated, I'm just worried about getting in legal trouble. Any words of advice?

please, any info would be appriciated!
Alexis06

Trip- Bringing back cigars to USA?

Postby citizenabovesuspicion » Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:40 pm

Just what is it about the answers you recieved on the Lonely Planet Thorntree board that you did not like?
citizenabovesuspicion

Postby Beattle » Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:30 am

Being a legal American allowed to visit Cuba, you must have recieved info regarding what you can and can not bring back with you to the States. I am sure cigars and rum would be on top of that list.

Not only will the cigars and rum be taken from you on your return to Miami, you will most likely be fined and probably never allowed to visit Cuba again, while the embargo is in place with the United States. It will not matter if your a 17 year old innocent girl or a 93 year old man.... your government will come down hard.

My advice.... enjoy your trip, don't be foolish, and return with a tan.

my two pesos.

Jay
Beattle

Return to Cuba Travel Forum