Tourist Islands of
the West Indies
$12.95

Jibacoa - Jellyfish???

Travel & news discussion about Cuba

Moderator: Bigjohn

Jibacoa - Jellyfish???

Postby zeno » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:39 am

I very much would like to go to one of the resorts at Jibacoa (we love snorkeling) BUT I am very concerned about the reports I hear of jellyfish.
We would be going around April 20th. Does anyone know how prevalent BAD jellyfish days would be at that time of year? (A couple of jellyfish would not bother me but I am concerned about jellyfish so bad that we could not go in the water). Thanks a lot for any help.
zeno

Postby YVR » Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:42 pm

Zeno,

You've obviously been reading some posts in other forums about the prevalence of jellyfish in the Jibacoa area at the beginning of March 2007. The Portuguese Man of War were brought in from deeper waters by unusually windy conditions at the time. From the photos I saw, posted by a lady who vacationed at the Cameleon for the second time (and during the exact same week one year apart) it did look very bad. It was a fluke or a freak of Mother Nature!

We have vacationed in this area every year since Dec. 2000, and at both of the resorts. Only once, in Dec. 2001 did we encounter any jellyfish, and then there were not more than a dozen or so washed up on the beach. I would be shocked if the jellyfish situation was still so prominent and severe when you go to Jibacoa later this month.

Lovely resort, great area! Enjoy your vacation!!
YVR

Return to Cuba Travel Forum