Tourist Islands of
the West Indies
$12.95

Slow

Travel & news discussion about Cuba

Moderator: Bigjohn

Slow

Postby Kelley » Wed Apr 04, 2007 9:13 pm

Wow all of our Cuban experiences and knowledge must have come to an end because it sure has got quite in this forum. I stop looking in for about 3 months and now I come back and it is like I did not miss a thing. Some one share so intresting story.
Kelley

Postby Bigjohn » Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:47 am

Hi Kelley

You're right about it being slowwwww. I guess everyone's trips must be without incident or problems.
On my last trip to Cuba I took a bicycle along with me. At the airport in Holguin there were 3 other guys with bikes coming in on the same plane. Their bikes were all new and the bike boxes were filled with DVD players, laptops, Boom-boxes etc. they were all given secondary inspection. I waited in line instead of just walking around the counter, thinking it was standard to have an inspection. One of the guards, agents, whatever he was, in uniform, motioned for me to leave. I said, in english, 'inspection, bicycle'. He looked at the home-made box and dirty old rope holding it together and said 'Have a nice vacation, sir', and he carried it out to the sidewalk for me.
I was ready for inspection with a receipt for $10. and the box was full of spare tubes, tires, wrenches, reflectors and everything was bike related.
Moral of the story: take an old bike, don't cheat, be polite.
I will be taking another one next time too. Somehow I forgot my bike when I left the resort.

When are you going back?

John.
Bigjohn

Postby Kelley » Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:09 pm

Hey John,
Don't know when we will be going back...Just invited my father in law to come here for a visit. Hopefully all will go well. Aside from that we would like to go back in November for a month, and stay one week at Playa Pesquero and the rest of the time with family.
Kelley

Postby Bigjohn » Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:39 pm

Funny. My mother in law is visiting us now. Where is your Father in law coming from?
I start a new job in 2 weeks, so my next trip won't be for a year or so. Then it will be Santiago, Brisas Sierra Mar with the family.
Bigjohn

Postby Kelley » Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:19 pm

My father in law will be coming from Jiguani which is close to Bayamo. When we go back we will stay there for a bit and then in Banes and then in Guardalavaca.
Kelley

Return to Cuba Travel Forum